What is a C.A.P. option?

-

g413

Reaction score
I'm looking in my 1967 manual under "cooling systems." I see various engines and options, and then there is a corresponding info on fan blade size, number of blades, water pump impeller, etc.

Options include None, A/C, Trailer Tow, and C.A.P. I can't see where C.A.P. is defined. It can apply to both A and B body cars.

"Cleaner Air Package." I believe the start of this was state of CA in 66. Federally, engines did not have emissions controls until 68

That would have been my first guess, but I didn't see how that would affect the cooling system. For example, if a car has A/C and the Clean Air Package, the fan has a thermal control drive on the fan.

"Thermal control" is part of all smog. At the time smog controls came online, so did stuff like heated carb "snorkel" air, and hotter thermostats. On the other hand, at the "hot" end of the scale retarted timing, slower timing advance, and learner carbs caused engines to run hotter, and they needed better cooling!!

By the way, if you download and read the shop manuals (free at MyMopar) they have a section in 'em starting in 66 about emissions controls.

-
Back