what is a good stall converter

-

jivemother33

Reaction score
i am looking for a good stall converter 3000-3500 stall for a 904 ..there are so many out there i used to be a chevy man b&m alsways worked for me but u guys hate them on here lol and tci ... my dart is mostly street but want all i can get if u know what i mean i realy dont want to spend 6 to 800 $ on one but alot of guys say its worth to get a custom built stall to ur car specs. just wanted some input from u guys thanks :thumbup:

I'm running a 3000 stall Turbo Action. Pull up to a stop and accelerate it acts like any other, Foot in the carb and it flashes to 3000-3200 and all hell brakes loose. :toothy7:

i have a tci breakaway 2400-2600 stall it sucks butt it acts like a stock converter ,i just want more stall i guess

Chris from Andrews Racing Transmission set me up with a PTC 2800 that will flash to 3500. It works very well. And he is a sponsor of this site.

A friend of mine got the Turbo Action converter for his 340 stroker, If I recall right it was the 17801 3000 stall, tight converter, its either a 10 or 10.5 inch, it was around $400.00, call and talk with Paul at Turbo Action and give him your engine info. He will treat you right. By the way the car is like a stock converter under normal driving, hit it, and watch out. It is remarkable!!! I will be getting one for my 727. Good Luck

66dartman how much was ur converter? my Tci did not flash very high at all maybe 1500 if i was lucky i know there is alot that affect stall rpm i guess i will just need to bump it up a notch lol

imo, if you are gonna spend $400 on a converter, or around that. you will want something that is tweaked to your combo. I personally wont ever get a off the shelf converter after what ive seen can be done. mine flashes to 3900 and cruises, drives like a 2500 when im not on it.

i would call dynamic or ptc . give them your combo and see what they recomend... i'm running a 9.5 dynamics convertor and love it. i get over 3000 rpm on the foot brake, flashes to about 3800 and drives on the street like a low stahl convertor... pretty much the best of all worlds.

Take the time, effort and $, call someone like PTI, Turbo, Lupos, etc. Be prepared to give every detail of your car and what you intend to do with it.
They will build you one correctly for your application. Maybe you dont need a fancy one. Initial cost may seem high to you but its cheaper in the long run than buying an off the shelf $200 unit and not being happy. I have a 9 1/2 Dynamics close to whats described in the previous post, it is excellent at the 1/4 and is also at home on the street.

Be prepared to give every detail of your car and what you intend to do with it.

that is the biggest thing... you have to be 100% honest on what you have and what you want to do with the car. if you plan of putting alot of street miles on it let them know,, it makes a difference.

i guess i want the most i can get on the street ,i dont drive the car alot most just go out and hunt some ford and chevy boys lol

408duster said:
Joe, Read your story on your webpage about the Dart, loved it, good job.

thanks... still have to update it.. i did alot of stuff in 05 and 06 to the car... its getting ther.. slowley but its getting there...

A torque converter is no place to cut corners. A good converter will make a huge differance. Turbo Action, ATI, PTC, or Dynamic would be my choices in that order. Give them all a call and give them lots of info. Pick the one that makes you fell comfortable.

i have 340 combo using a 3800 ptc convertor, works great. believe it or not on et streets it will foot break to 3900 and flash around 4400-4500. did i mention it drives like a cadaliac on the highway. for $400 it the best money i've spent on a convertor and the next will be a ptc also. they have a very nice service department and will build anything you want. also tried a 9.5 dynamic it worked great on the track and highway but had trouble with it pushing the crank forward. maybe just a bad one don't know? next time i switched almost everything, to ruined steel cranks get expensive. for prices ptc or ati a best values.

-
Back