What is this?

-

Datsun78

Reaction score
I have a '71 318 with Carter 2 barrel in my '69 Barracuda. See attached photo looking into intake manifold. Appears to be a plug on the right side.

What is this for?

Any benefit or downside to removal?

Thanks!

Mark
20210706_140910.jpg

That’s part of the EGR setup. It allowed a metered amount of exhaust gas into the intake manifold to reduce n0x emissions.

Cliff Ramsdell

Yup, EGR port.
You can remove and plug it if you want- they can be pretty stubborn, though. Won't hurt a thing to just leave it there. Just remove the EGR valve on the manifold (to the left of carb) and bolt a blockoff plate and gasket on it.

Or remove plug and drill a small hole in it and play with a down scaled egr for mileage .
Surprised it's still on there. Did uou plan to use it or something?
See if it works even. Opens/closes with vac.

That intake is later than '71. The EGR valve intakes started in 1973. Some '72 models had just the floor jets like yours, but no valve. No need to remove the EGR valve unless you just don't like the look. If it isn't connect to vacuum and working, it's acting the same as a block off plate.

That looks like a square drive plug. Leave it there.

So if I remove and block off the EGR valve and the related vacuum line, and leave the plug in the manifold, what kind of performance effects will that have? Driven on nice days only in Colorado. Thanks!

Mark

NONE! Because it’s already plugged inside the manifold, so the valve is not doing a thing.

The threaded plug in the floor of the intake doesn't effect the operation of the EGR valve. Like I said earlier, unless you just don't like the looks of it sitting there, just take the hose off and plug the supply end. A non-working EGR valve is just a block-off plate. If you remove the valve, you need to make a good thick plate and get a gasket for the opening or it will leak. Either way, no effect on performance.....after all, it just a 2bbl, so, not high performance anyway.

-
Back