what main bearings do you use in a slant 6

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What brand main bearings and part # if you have them are you using in a 1966 slant 6 engine. I have been using Michigan brand 1092T for the last 2 engines but I am having questions about these. Just wanted to see what the rest of you guys are using. May need to change. A lot of places dont have them anymors or they are higher than a cats ***. thanks, Bill

Check King Bearings. I believe Slant 6 mains are the same as 440 mains.

See my reply to your other post.
The number 1 main bearing is supposed to have a champher on the upper shell. It is for timing chain lubrication. Except for the champhor the bearing is the same as the #2 and #4
Many if not most of the after market sets do not have the champhor. If I get a set like that I file the champhor on the edge of the bearing shell. I don't know about the aftermarket bearings, but the factory replacement bearing have that marked with a red paint mark.
PS: the factory service manual refers to this.

Last edited:
On my last /6 build I used TRW bearings I found on eBay

On my last /6 build I used TRW bearings I found on eBay
I saw a set of those. I went back and bought another set of the Michigan bearings now that I know why they had 3 different numbers on the box. I never had a problem with the fit of them but was kinda skeptical since I paid attention to it.I believe that the TRW bearings I looked at had the same issue. It had a MB1999, MB 2000 and a MB2001. Thanks

-
Back