What Mopar does this A833 4 Speed Trans Fit?

-

YoMopar

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 23 spline A833 trans and I need some help finding out what body style it fits. Here is the info:

These are the casting number on the tail shaft:

AL
C13212-1
X5 (plus either an "A" or a "4" in a circle following the X5)

The casting numbers on the main case housing are PP8335240, C13303 VX, and G138785.

The distance from the front of the tailshaft to the center of the mounting pad on the tailshaft is approximately 4-3/4". The mounting pad I am referring to here is the one which connects the transmission to the crossmember that bolts to the frame of the car.

Also, the overall length of the tailshaft is approximately 12-1/2" and the distance from the rear of the tailshaft to the center of the first bolt hole for the shifter is 3". The distance from the rear of the tailshaft to the center of the second bolt hole for the shifter is 5". Last, the distance from the rear of the tailshaft housing the center of the hole on the bottom
for the shifter is 3-5/8". The 3" and 5" distances are for the two top holes for the shifter mounting and the 3-5/8" dimension is for the bottom of the three.

There is only ONE set of bolt holes for a shifter on the tailshaft.

If you can be of any help with identifying the application of this A833 trans, please let me know.

Thanks!
Ted

carefull....some 833 overdrives were cast iron too. Lots of cast ones in 1975. Chck the front hub diameter. Overdrive is larger than 4spd. Another give away was overdrive shift tag is reversed on the 3rd 4th rod.

I have a cast iron 833 OD trans and several with the aluminum housing. I bought the cast iron thinking regular 4 speed. Then when I got home, I measure the bearing retainer and it is 5.100. I didn't know about the quick reference....one shift lever down, one shift lever up = OD trans, unless someone flipped a lever over.
What does it fit? b body only has one mounting lug close to front of tail housing. B&E body have two shifter mounting lugs, one at front of tailshaft, and one at rear of tailshaft. A body has the lug in the middle of tailshaft.

This is a little off-topic, but will a '75 OD unit like Gremlin was talking about bolt right up to a 1974 318 3 speed bellhousing?

like he said...the front bearing retainer on an overdrive is about 1/2 inch larger in diameter so unless your little girl on the bellhousing is for a 4spd...the little boy won't fit...

steve said:
like he said...the front bearing retainer on an overdrive is about 1/2 inch larger in diameter so unless your little girl on the bellhousing is for a 4spd...the little boy won't fit...
That was good!:)

12/2/75 is a '76 model year tranny.

In 1975 the V-8 cast iron trannies were DIRECT DRIVE, used the overdrive-sized bearing retainer, yet still had the small bolt pattern and small 307 bearing.
The bearing retainer and front bearing ARE NOT the same as an overdrive on these '75 V-8 trannies!!

Supposedly some very early '76 V-8 cars slipped out with this same style of direct drive tranny, but I've yet to see one in a '76.

Most '72-'75 3 speeds BEHIND SLANT 6es also used the 307 bearing with the oddball overdrive-sized bearing retainer.
I use those bearing retainers to make replacement ones for the '68-'74 383/400 bearing retainers.

Mark.

-
Back