What primer to use for windshield repair & replacment

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I pulled the windshield out of my '74 Duster to fix some rust damage that was hidden under the old vinyl roof. I ended up using a wire wheel to strip all the rust, paint, and primer out of the windshield gasket channel. I have welded in new steel and ground the welds down.

My windshield gasket and clips showed up last night and my windshield is going to be delivered tomorrow.

Before I install the windshield I want to spray everything hidden under the windshield with a good coat of primer. I was thinking about using the Nason self etching primer (it is a lime greenish color). What do you guys think, good idea or not? What kind of primer would you guys recommend using?

Self etch primer doesn't do anything for corrosion, self etch is for adhesion. It eats into the metal to help it stick, has a high acid content. You could use it but then cover with epoxy primer to help seal it. If urethane is being used on the pinch weld (I doubt it with the seal) you actually want to leave it bare steel.. that is what most windshield installers will suggest.

-
Back