what size fittings

-

roaddevil

Reaction score
i restoring my 66 barracuda at the moment and lost my fluid lines for the 904 transmission . So far not a big deal you can buy lines everywhere , but i have to do mine custom because some mods i did. Now my problem whats the size of the fitting on the lines that connects to the tranny ?

5/16 SAE flare. You can pull one of the fittings off the trans and then you'll have one to match

These are NOT JIC or AN, which is 37 1/2* flare, but rather 45* SAE flare

Most parts stores are not going to have steel flare nuts. You'll probably have to go someplace that makes hydraulic lines, etc, truck parts, or at least has a wider array of stock.

napa carries the hard line. that's the easy part. bending to fit makes for a fun time (tip: disconnect the battery incase you happen to hit the post on the starter). comming out exactly right in the length is what's going to jack you up. well worth having a double flaring tool. do a couple practice flares before doing your freshly bent line.
unless your really wanting the stock look, consider steel braided hose w/ AN fittings. i've done both, just redid the hard lines in my car, and hose is much easyer for a quick and clean install
good luck

thanks a lot for you help so its is a 5/16 24 thread right ? because here in switzerland you just can get metric stuff. i have to order it in the states :-( thx

No it is not. Here in the U.S. it is "called out" as 5/16 SAE flare, which refers to the standardized fittings for 5/16" outside diameter steel tube. There are adapters or "half unions" which convert from that fitting to whatever the thread is directly into the trans case, I forget, either 1/8" or 1/4" US pipe thread. Again, this is a "call out" correct designator, and NOT the actual size of the fitting

The adapters into the trans case should look something like this, except steel, not brass

http://www.suremarineservice.com/images/products/detail/FIT332.1.jpg

5/16 SAE flare is listed as 1/2" x 20 thread, and again, these are 45 degree flare, not the 37 1/2 degree flare which JIC/ AN fittings use.

By part number these are often referred to by the "dash" number which is nothing more than 1/16" increments That is, a fitting series for 5/16" OD tube is the basic part number followed by -5. This is where you hear people say stuff like "using no 8 fittings" meaning -8 or 1/2" nominal series. One inch fittings are -16 for 16/16"

hey roaddevil, just re-read your first post and missed where you also need the fittings for the trans. i believe the radiator uses the same ones?...

...the threads in the trans case are 1/8 NPT.
do you have those in your radiator? you can try them and make sure. if you need a couple of them, (i have extras), PM me your address and i'll ship them to you.

also your probably going to want 2 or 4 couplers in case you can't do the lines as a single piece.

good luck

Hey i am so thankfull for all your help , :) I finaly found the fittings in a hydaulic shop:) most of the european hydraulics are also in inch :) i will send you pics of my setup:)

-
Back