what so you think it is worth

-

dpmalibu

Reaction score
I just found a 1972 Dart Swinger w/ 6 cyl. by my house. I talked to the owner who said he inherited it from an ederly aunt who was the original owner, It has 30k original miles on it. The body is arrow straight. It appears to be 99% solid. The pass side 1/4 is starting to rust through at the bottom so it will need a patch. Other than that the floors look solid. ( I will have to crawl under it to confirm). It has the original 14" dof dish wheels/caps on it. it is Red with black bench seat interior. dash pad is cracked. Front seat is covered so I am assuming it is ripped. it currently doesn't run. What is it worth in running and not running condition. I know it is hard to imagine without pics.

id offer about 3 k if its as nice as you say just because i had my 69 gs stolden from me in 85 but i have the original drive train for it in my 65 barracuda and would love to have it again with minnor body work and this drivetrain back in it it was an 11:17 car then look at the picture above imagine it in brite red with the black vinal roof and the sweeet smell and look of burning rubber over taking the car dayam takes me back all for less than 6kok put me in for 2500 tires arent so cheap no more

Another extremely important factor I don't think you mentioned is: is it 2 door or 4 door? That makes a HUGE difference in price too.

$4000...tops...$1500 bottom....with clear title/paperwork.

Approach it from the stand point that if it doesnt run....it needs:

Battery
Fuel Tank dropped and cleaned/replaced
Fuel Sending Unit/Pickup
Fuel Filter
Oil Change
Spark Plugs
Cap/Rotor

Brakes addressed/flushed....

Tires.

Windshield??

I would lean toward the lower end of my range above especially since you said rust is visible and it doesnt "run".
Period.

$1500, it doesnt even run.....and it WAS free. If he haggles, 2.5K tops. It is a 6 auto, and rusted through, imagine what the frame rails look like.

dodgedart3.jpg

malibu/72dodgedart.jpg[/IMG]
72dodgedart2-1.jpg

$1500, it doesnt even run.....and it WAS free. If he haggles, 2.5K tops. It is a 6 auto, and rusted through, imagine what the frame rails look like.

? If it's just a little rust behind the wheels at bottom of quarters like they all get, that doesn't mean the frame rails are bad. They could be bad or solid. Mine has the usual lower quarter rust, but the rest of the car is solid as a rock, especially the rails/floors.

Unless you meant that's what he should tell the seller LOL

sorry for blurry pics. I took them as I was walking. I didn't want the neighbor's calling the police on me for looking suspicious

Well, with those pics, it's impossible to tell condition. I think your price range is between $1000 and $3000 depending on condition. Unless it's rusted out badly underneath to the point where it's a parts car, but even then I'd say $600 because there's probably more than that in parts on it.

I'd check it out REAL good because that might not be original paint and could be hiding bondo or rust. In the pics, unless it's just bad color, I don't think that even looks like a factory color. Check the jams and under the hood, trunk for original color, and check o/a for signs of repaint unless it's obvious.

the pics of thr driver side didn't come out. Like I said I could not get better pics unless I wanted the police questioning why I was taking pics of some random car

man thats a tough one. the pics are pretty much worthless. its wet and the paint is still toast looking. looks like its been sitting a long time. i'd have to assume pretty much what Prine said...

i would have to go over that thing with a fine tooth comb before i offered anything over $1000

Sounded like you were there looking at it with the owner. Either way, I'd go back, check it out thoroughly, then make a reasonable offer on it. If it's truly solid, it looks like a great project. Or driver, whichever. I'd love to find something like that. Actually, I did. My '72 sounds almost exactly like that except the outside paint was baked off from sitting in the sun (but fortunately, the interior was spared the same fate, oddly), but the rest is super nice. But the fact that this turns out to be a '70 is even better.

The reason why it doesn't run would effect the value to me unless I was just after a shell. I would get more info & go up on price from $1500 & see where he is happy parting with it.

Well, yeah, what Prine said is obviously true as the absolute minimum it will need.

I would add to that new wheel cylinders (just do a disc front swap on front instead, right away), and probably drums too, and a new master cylinder, and brake hoses too. Any car that's sat for that long is going to need all of those things at minimum.

I would still bet a dollar that's not original paint.

C'mon dude, don't be lazy, get some better pics, in this day in age there is no excuse.

So, in summary, no one can tell you what it's worth without way better pics of the entire car inside and out, and you checking out underneath thoroughly. Go talk to the guy and get the nice pics, and make an offer, good luck!

When I took the pics the owner wasn't home. I went back 3 times and finally talked to him the last time. I think the car has been sitting for a few years . He said all 3 of his sons learned how to drive in it. He said he will hold on to my # and let me know in the spring. I don't want to wait that long. I looked under it and it looked solid. The interior looked dated with a cracked dash pad and sheepskin seat cover. The body is definitely straight. I am not going to get more pics of it out of respect of the owner since he is undecided . I think $800- 1500 is reasonable .

-
Back