What street tire to replace slicks

-

wheelman21

Mopar noob
Reaction score
I've got 15" centerlines on the car I just bought and right at the moment they have Hoosier 29-9-15 slicks, and I want to replace the slicks with street tires. I'm trying to figure out what size tire to put on. I was thinking 295/50-15. I was thinking BFG Radial T/As. Any other suggestions or opinions?

Need more info first. Do the Hoosiers fit ok? If they do and you like that size, I would look up the specs for them and try and match it to a street size. If not, I would make the necessary adjustments, wider/narrower taller/shorter, and then start looking for tires.

Are you needing something with traction? If so, I would stay away from the T/A's and look towards a drag radial. If you are wanting to cruise to shows, they would be fine. Hope this helped.

The 295-50 will be about 2" shorter and 2" wider. a 255-50-15 would be about the same size as a 27X9" slick, a 275-60 would be about a 28X10.

What kinda of car is it ? have the springs been moved ?

The car is a J body Mirada (yes I know this is the A forum, but the J forum is pretty scarce). I don't believe the springs have been moved. I will double check the clearance on my way out for work. The slicks fit fine. I would like to go a little wider, but I don't know if I can on that wheel, and I don't really want to buy wheels. I was supposed to get new rear tires with the car but that's another story for another day.

I don't need insane traction as the car will spend more of it's life on the street than the strip. I'm going to take it to the strip occasionally but it will deff see a decent amount of street time. I would however like it to grip when I launch it.

I have heard that a tall tire can help if you have pretty steep gears. It has 4.86 now, but I am going to 4.10 before I put it on the street. I head the 28" tire will help with the gearing on the street.

I was also considering the firehawk indy.

I would go with a 275-60-15, I like the Firehawks myself. Cooper/Mickey Thompson have a nice street radial also. I would post this at the FMJ site as well.

-
Back