What style tips for Dart Sport?

-

'74 Sport

Reaction score
Finally dropped off my son's '74 Dart Sport for a new exhaust system, today. They will leave the tail pipe running long, until we get the bumper re-installed, so they can see how short to cut it.

Question: What was the original treatment for the end of stock tail pipes on the Dart Sports? It is a slant six, but we would like for it to look a little meaner. Did some of the models with larger engines come with chrome tips, and what style, turned down, square....?

Thanks,
Jerry

I have turn downs on mine and I think it looks pretty good. I am not sure what they came with from the factory.

The 340 Dart Sports came with rectangular chrome tips usually. You can find chrome reproductions on Ebay or www.accurateltd.com sells stainless steel ones which will look nicer longer. They also sell them for different size tailpipes.

Dart Sports never came with 340's do you mean 360's?

MY340 said:
The 340 Dart Sports came with rectangular chrome tips usually. You can find chrome reproductions on Ebay or www.accurateltd.com sells stainless steel ones which will look nicer longer. They also sell them for different size tailpipes.

It should use the same ones like on my sons Dart. Ron

26289138.jpg

Mopardude said:

You must be forgetting about the 1973 Dart Sport 340 and yes the 1974 Dart Sport did have the 360.

Mopardude said:

I should have clarified the years. :-D

1973 Dart Sport 340
1974 Dart Sport 360

Dart Sports never came with 340's do you mean 360's

You are mistaken my friend my 73 Dart Sports came with the 340 NOT 360's and it has the original 340 in it now! I can prove it as its a documented #'s matchng car and states 340 from the VIN and Bld sheet. Oh and yes rectangular exhaust tips mine are original to the car also

Interesting! With the new body change to the Dart Sport in 73 they changed to the 360. But I have notice like in other 73 mopars that should have came with a 360 that sometimes still had a 340. Seems like 73 was kinda a crap shoot as to what you where going to get.

The 360 performance option took place of the 340 performance option in the 1974 model year. 1974 didn't come with tips, but the norm is to use the the retangular tips that the earlier 70's performanced optioned A-bodies had.

The 360 performance option took place of the 340 performance option in the 1974 model year. 1974 didn't come with tips, but the norm is to use the the retangular tips that the earlier 70's performanced optioned A-bodies had

True. I looked at a 74 before I bought the 73 and the 74 had the rectangular tips, Guy had had the car for quite a while and it looked nice and original(but added later obviously)so go with rectangular. Oh and BTW I looked up the numbers and stuff for the different years and have NEVER(does not mean impossible but no records or cars that I have seen exist) seen a 73 Dart Sport that came from the FACTORY with a 360. That started is 74. 73 was the last year for the 340 and from what ive researched no 360 cars in 73.

"The 360 engine made it's debut in 1971 and was first available in the Dart line in 1974. The 360 engine never gained the recognition of the previously available high compression 340 cubic inch engine."

Sounds like rectangular is the way to go. Not that we are looking to be concourse perfect, but would like to be close to "period" correct. I really do like the looks of the rectangular tips, and would probably have decided on them anyway.

Thanks for the "tips"
icon12.gif

Jerry

-
Back