What Tire sizes are best for my 1969 Barracuda Fastback?

-

Exponder

Reaction score
Hi All,
I am wondering about tires sizes for My B-Cuda. I have 14" Rally wheels I would like to put on it. It has the small bolt pattern. I did buy a set of used rims with tires
for it last spring. The tires on the rims are 245 60R X 14. When the car was on floor stands I put the tires on the rear and they looked GREAT. However, Yesterday I went to A & A and picked up the new tires, same size B F Goodrich tires. But, in comparison the new tires looked massive compared to the old ones which are Cooper tires. Any advice from anyone is GREATLY APPRECIATED! It's a plane Jane. So, no racing. Thanks for looking, Exponder

The other question is will the fit on the front? I didn't try to put them on the front so, Maybe they will rub.

I think it's going to be tight to not functional on the front.

215/70R14 fits on the front and rear of Darts with stock 5.5" wide steel wheels without issue.

But I think on Barracudas you have to change the length of the rod that supports the lower front lip of the fender.

Also my cooper cobras (215) are super close to the upper control arm, not sure if I have an extra 1/2 inch there.
Screenshot_20240905-085432.png

Last edited:
Hi All,
I am wondering about tires sizes for My B-Cuda. I have 14" Rally wheels I would like to put on it. It has the small bolt pattern. I did buy a set of used rims with tires
for it last spring. The tires on the rims are 245 60R X 14. When the car was on floor stands I put the tires on the rear and they looked GREAT. However, Yesterday I went to A & A and picked up the new tires, same size B F Goodrich tires. But, in comparison the new tires looked massive compared to the old ones which are Cooper tires. Any advice from anyone is GREATLY APPRECIATED! It's a plane Jane. So, no racing. Thanks for looking, Exponder

The other question is will the fit on the front? I didn't try to put them on the front so, Maybe they will rub.
If you're sticking with those 14'' rims the 245s' will be fine on the rear. I have those on my 14x7 with a 3.75 backspace slots (avatar) but have 235s' on the front because the 245 with the slots came a little too close to the front fender edge. Your results on the front may be different with those rims. I actually purchased two of the 245s' and tried them on the front first and then purchased the 235s'.

I had 205/70-14 on the front with no issues at all. I now have 215/65-15 on 6" rims the front and 245/60-15 on 8" rims on the rear. Don't know the back space but don't have any problem with them. Bobby

215/70-14 is the largest size that will fit all around on the 14" rally wheels. The rally wheels are only 5.5" wide, and 225/70 will hit the fender when turning. Barracudas are much tighter in the wheel well than Darts, with more tuck-under in the body side profile.

A little late, but I thought I'd throw this up here for what it's worth.

You can get a general idea on a tires dimensions by going to any one of several sites on the internet including the tire stores. The sad truth is that while the dimensions are close they are not exact and can vary in some instances a lot especially between different brands of tires. Especially when you're trying to stuff the biggest tire possible into a wheel well you're down to actually mounting the tire and seeing if it fits without rubbing.

The tire on the left is new and the tire on the right had about 25 miles on it. They are both mounted on identical 15" X 7" rims and inflated to 32 PSI. The one on the left is a Cooper and the one on the right is a Michelin.

The Cooper is a good 1/2" shorter and has about a 1/2" wider contact patch.

https://flic.kr/p/ZrBdBj]23570 15 1[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153889607@N08/]M Patterson[/url], on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/ZrBdAN]235 70 15 2[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153889607@N08/]M Patterson[/url], on Flickr

I get a feeling I may run into the same issue when I go shopping for a pair of street tires to replace the Drag Radials on my Valiant.

-
Back