What to do about Rocker Arm Adjs.

-

1966er

Reaction score
What do you do if all of the adjustment is out of the rocker arms. In other words, I can't turn the adjustment bolts any further.

The engine runs great, it's that the lifters are just so damn noisy.

I can take a few of the rockers and moved them up and down with about 1/8th" gap. It's a wonder that the push rods haven't came out.

Is there a longer rocker arm adjustment bolt that can be bought or do I need new rockers?

There's hardly any ware on the rockers. Can't tell if there is any on the push rods due to the mushroom style head.

Bare with me, as I'm not real savvy on 6's

Don't take this to the bank, but could your cam be whipped/worn out, what /6 do you have and year model, has this / been opened up and gone threw?
how many miles on it.
We have some great tec's here so give them time to chime in :thumleft:
I am always learning something here.:smile:

It's a 72, 225 and has never been opened up.

Has 37,000 original documented miles.

Like I said, it runs great without a miss. I wouldn't think it's a wiped cam.

Something's worn out or improperly assembled, or the engine has defective (out of spec, too short) pushrods. Check that the rocker shaft bolts are all tight, that no unauthorised shims have been installed under the rocker shaft, and fetch another pushrod to compare length.

Hay Dan, since the 170 has a much shorter deck height, are the pushrods for those shorter? If so, I wonder if somebody put 170 pushrods in it?

It isn't easy to remove the cam to check it and I think slant solid cams cost more than for a V-8, so that argues for measuring it in the car. Buy a dial indicator (Harbor Freight) and measure the lift (at pushrod or valve) and compare to the factory spec. That should tell you if the cam is OK. If so, then get pushrods that work. Should be easy to find a correct slant pushrod on FABO to compare. Besides 170's, maybe somebody installed ball-cup pushrods from a 273 or a 340TA, or even non-Mopar. Maybe they put hydraulic lifters in. I have seen strange things in my cars from prior hacks.

Ok...thanks guys.....I'll check those things out. If I have to open up the engine, I might as well put in a new cam kit.

I did find a Comp cam kit at Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K64-241-4/

I'll see what I find. Like I said, to my knowledge & the po, this engine hasn't been touched. Of course that doesn't prove anything in my world.

I'll get back here & let you know what I found. Maybe it is the wrong push rods.
I HOPE!!

Start simple remove the valve cover and inspect for a cause. Rocker shaft assy loose, broken valve springs, bent push rods. Make sure you are getting oil to the top end. Find the cause and correct it Also do a valve adjustment the correct way these are solid lifter motors and need an occasional valve adjustment.

Brian

Comp cams = problems and incorrect parts. Much better: a Dutra RV-10M grind from Erson. That is if you need a camshaft, which I don't (yet) think you do.

170 pushrods are so much shorter than 198/225 pushrods that they would not reach the rocker arms.

Turns out I was able to adjust the rockers. I guess because the adjustment nuts were so tight, I thought they were bottomed out.

Engine running quiet except for just a hint of tapping. I had set them at .10 & .20

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions.....

Turns out I was able to adjust the rockers. I guess because the adjustment nuts were so tight, I thought they were bottomed out.

Engine running quiet except for just a hint of tapping. I had set them at .10 & .20

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions.....

That's what they call an "Interferance fit" so they don't back out on you !!

-
Back