What to do with filler neck

-
I emailed Evaporust asking about it and here's the response I got:

The yellow residue is from Evapo-Rust reacting with the lead residue from when gas used to have lead in it. It gets impregnated in the metal. Acetic acid or vinegar will dissolve lead in the presence of oxygen. The residue that comes off will have lead in it and should be disposed of in a safe manner.

Makes sense I guess, although others here have said they didn't run into this on their filler necks. I don't want to soak it in vinegar because that will dissolve the plating on it. I think I will just leave it as is and run it.
Have you had any problems with just running it? I just ran into the same problem, did all the same stuff you did, its covered right now in wd-40

I’d soak it over night in gasoline and see what affect it has on it. If it doesn’t clean up or dissolve I’d be surprised. Maybe a gas scrub after that. The neck itself looks pretty good.

I think the only real concern is if flakes come off and clog things further down the line. I think anything dissolvable by gas would be so diluted it wouldn't be an issue. I would throw a few nuts and small bolts in the tube and shake the hell out of it and see what flakes come out.

That tube is a no lead tube, it has a door in it. Regular leaded gas nozzles would not go into it.

-
Back