What type of clips are used for windshield moldings

-

jeryst

Reaction score
I have all of the front windshield and rear window trim for my 68 Dart, but there are just holes around the openings.

What type of clips do I need, and who sells them? Are there screws that go with them, or some type of posts, or what?

reveal moulding clips.. rtspecialties and many others have them. Most of them with the screws included.

you can go on E-bay and do a search for " mopar clips windshield " and find sets with screws

I looked on ebay, and see some listed for 68-76 A-body, some listed for 68-69 A-body, and some listed for 70-76 A-body. Are they all the same from 68-76?

Next question. I need some for the back window too, so are they the same exact thing, and I just need to order 2 sets?

The early clips mopar used are shorter than what Ford and GM used.
They will be the same for front and back on the same car. There is a difference in the quantity on something like Barracuda with a large back glass.
I suggest you purchase whats correct for your 68 , especially if you intend to use the same screw holes.

I'm elaborating on earlier statements evn if what applies to the 68,9 Barracuda doesn't apply to the other a-bodies.
The clip on left with round screw hole is one of 4 I've had since about 1980.
This clip on right with slotted hole is what the aftermarket ( ebay ) sold to me.
I didn't take a pic of the car. The pinch weld where the gasket goes is called the fence. The depth of the fence from the shown painted body ( front windshield only ) is the problem. The aftermarket clips work just fine on the rear windows because they have a slotted hole. That slotted hole is no help on the front window. The clip will stand too tall when down against the fence. Solution... I picked up a cute little visegrip at Lowes for 2 bucks and found it to be the perfect handle for grinding the clips down to size.
There are a few clips along the bottom of the windshield that wouldn't need altering since there isn't a full fence along there but...
there are 4 tabs that serve as a broken fence. If the car is a 67 there are no screw holes. You'll need to pull tape or a string along those tbs to create a continue line to locate on. So, go ahead and grind every clip for the front windshield to the same size.

Now about the screws and why they are included with the clips.
They are specials. They are #8 sheetmetal screws with a #6 screw head. The standard #8 screw head is too large and wont let the moulding in the clip.
If you are drilling holes you could buy and use standard #6 screws. Just drill smaller holes. If the holes for #8 screws are already there the special screw is the only screw that will work. If the screw holes are stripped or rusted out, pop rivets are an alternative to drilling new holes.

-
Back