what type of oil to use in a 225?

-
Really? I've been using them for years in all my cars, trucks, and tractors, and have never had any problems with them.

Cardboard parts,fewer perforations in the filter,back-flow valve control,and just
poor overall construction. It's no secret,do a search.

Wix,Napa Gold(Wix),K&N,Purolator,= Good.

Cardboard parts,fewer perforations in the filter,back-flow valve control,and just
poor overall construction. It's no secret,do a search.

Wix,Napa Gold(Wix),K&N,Purolator,= Good.

this is true he listed are good i also use others with no problems microgaurd i used one time and napa had a oil change deal so i got a napa silver dont know the equivelint but yes fram has a bad reputation not sure why they havnt upgraded there units cause of this.......

if u wanna help ur engine u can use mobil1 oils cause they have detergents in them alot of it and that may help flush ur engine if u do it a couple times,its spendy but when u see the oil turning black quick u know ur engine is dirty(may have had old penzoil in is)lol

I run the Rotella T oil and snaps gold 1515 filter. Why? Rotella has a lot of zinc, and the Napa gold uses a spring inside to keep the filter in place. Most filters use a bent piece of sheet metal to maintain pressure on the filter. If the filter was to clog the filter lifts off the seat to bypass the clog and keep the oil flowing. Bent metal springs warp.

I change oil every 3000 or before the car sits for winter.

Ok off the soap box.

new slant owner here can i get filter part numbers and best zinc additive for the money ive got a 64 slant i was going through old receipts from the 60s and 70s oil change was showing 4qts and straight 30w oil

Even Rotella T and the other diesel oils have now started running reduced levels of zinc. Best to use an additive or the oils specifically made with increased levels of zinc. Better safe than sorry. Once Fram got bought out, the price and quality of their filters went downhill. As it was said in a previous post, Wix, Napa Gold, K&N and Purolator are the way to go.

I run the Rotella T oil and snaps gold 1515 filter. Why? Rotella has a lot of zinc, and the Napa gold uses a spring inside to keep the filter in place. Most filters use a bent piece of sheet metal to maintain pressure on the filter. If the filter was to clog the filter lifts off the seat to bypass the clog and keep the oil flowing. Bent metal springs warp.

I change oil every 3000 or before the car sits for winter.

Ok off the soap box.

So you know, Napa Gold=Wix. Save money and get a Wix filter elsewhere.
And as mentioned,the zinc is gone in Rotella oil.

I always use Castrol 10w-30 full sythetic with a third of a bottle of Edelbrock ZDDP additive and WIX #51515 oil filter. DON'T USE ORANGE CAN FRAM!!!!

Really? I've been using them for years in all my cars, trucks, and tractors, and have never had any problems with them.

The problem comes on the other end. If your engine lasts 150,000 miles running a Fram, it may have lasted 225,000 miles with a good filters.

My personal choice!

Quaker State "DEFY" 10W/30 it has the ZDDP additive
And I only use the Mopar filters.

Mopar always has all of their parts supplied by the lowest bid contractor. That doesn't sound like a recipe for a quality filter to me.

Nice to know more people are using zddp snake oil. This this day there are still flat tappet cam equipped cars in production they do not require zddp either. here is GM's official opinion on zddp.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1049812

Use a name brand quality oil and remember that heavier weights of oil put more force on the oil pump drive gears which have been known to shear off on some slant sixes.

Rotella T, 15/40 with a WIX filter and a little dab of ZDDP

Mopar always has all of their parts supplied by the lowest bid contractor. That doesn't sound like a recipe for a quality filter to me.

Not so fast...The Mopar filters are made by Purolator,which is actually a quality filter.

I have only had my valiant long wnough to do one oil change, I used quaker state i think(10-30). and a hastings filter. Btw how is mobil1 oil?

-
Back