what year did they stop making 340 motors??

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
I have been kinda looking for 340 motors online and found one recently for $300. Im on a budget right now and have been trying to find something that wasnt a crazy amount and within a reasonable drive. This guy happens to have it says its a 1986 block, i know it has an edelbrock intake and a holley carb. Can that be right to be a 1986??? I have never seen anything that new for a 340 any info would be appreciated thanks
mark

unless it is one of those exspensive "built" blockjs, he is blowing smoke up you know what. i am not even sure if the were making those (i think) x blocks then

I believe 73 was the last model year that you could buy a car with a factory 340. Im not sure after that about the availablity of buying one over the counter from Ma Mopar. Tell him to send pics of the casting dates and #'s to you.

Mid '73 the 340 was replaced by 360 in most vehicle lines. There may be a few that made it out in 74 with special orders in other inventory - for example, I believe it survived longer in the road runner package than say the Challenger. But either way, can't imagine anything later than 76.

They put 340s in boats until 75, but the last year for cars was 73. You need to get some casting numbers off of the block and heads to find out what it really is.

i bet its probley just a 360 and the guy dont know what he's talking about. I emailed him but we will see if i get a response back.

Mopar Performance sold a 340 "replacement" block in the 80's and 90's. Basically these were 318 blocks with extra thick cylinder walls and deck surfaces. Some of these supposedly found their way into regular production 318 trucks, which I don't doubt. That being said, I wouldn't spend more than the value of a 318 core on a later block unless the block has been sonic checked, or otherwise documented.

.........My buddy says his warranty block for his 73 RR is dated 7/7/77.........i havent checked myself..................kim.............

i know which engine you are talking about. i e- mailed the guy to see what he really had. he must have felt dumb, or sold it cause he never e-mailed me back. i just sent him another one last night as a matter of fact. small world.

73 is the last year they installed them in new cars, but they still produced them as service replacements into the 90s.

Ya i never heard back from the guy.

Evil,
the guy had that thing posted one time before a couple months ago. I never emailed him then and finally did. At first i thought it would be too good to be true and then finally got on here to get some info this time.

Mid '73 the 340 was replaced by 360 in most vehicle lines. .[/quote

Not quit true, the 360 started its production in 71, the 360 didn't replace the 340, the 340 was just fazed out (of production) after 73, the 1st. yr of the 360 in an A body was 74.

-
Back