What year did they switch to overflow bottle radiators?

-

StephenShaw

64Valiant200ConvV8
Reaction score
I have converted my '64 V8 Valiant to an overflow bottle system. Something I read somewhere that I have not seen here on any threads is a radiator with no air in it supposedly lasts longer and reduces rust in the system. Old large top tank rads needed air in the top so the fluid could expand w/o running out.

I need to find a 22" 3 core radiator and to help my search I need to know what year did they switch to the overflow system? My fan hits any early A-body rads with the larger overhanging top tank. Thanks in advance.

You don't need to change anything. Recovery systems burp/ expand back and forth as it heats and cools into the overflow bottle. You do need to make sure you have the proper cap as different radiators have different neck depths, and of course you need a recovery type cap. The only real difference, is the lack of ears to make it more difficult to open, and a gasket for a perfect seal on top of the cap.

Sorry I didn't explain that I have the overflow system working all ready. I am looking for a 3 core radiator to replace the 2 core I have out of what I thought was a '74 Duster. Now I looked on the '62 thru '74 radiator part number list and it appears that the only '74 22" came on a /6. I think the donor car was missing the motor. I was hoping to find out what year the small top tanks with overflows started to make it easier to find the 22" 3 core.

Anyone know what year they moved to the overflow system? Maybe guys could state what year they have and if it has a factory overflow system or not. Thanks for the help.

That 3 row core will be tough to find I think. Will be easier to get a radiator shop to make one....and cheaper to just buy an aftermarket aluminum one.

"That 3 row core will be tough to find I think."

StrokerScamp. I agree. Since the 2 core I have in it now seems to be OK I plan to wait until the summer and really test it. In the mean time I will continue to look for the post '73 factory 22" 3 core (if there is such a thing) and as you say go with aftermarket if I have to. I think I have other issues I need to solve that are making it run so hot. It's an old 318 motor that needs work and will eventually be replaced by a 360. But all that needs to wait for body parts and interior first.

Thanks for the help.

I agree with the Chief 1973 was the first closed cooling system

-
Back