Whats a 4 speed fell like

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
Ok so I have been saving and am getting close to getting a 4 speed.My dad keeps saying manual cars have a better feel the left the front end and make it feel more powerful.The only manual car I drive is a old nissan truck with a 4 speed but it has maybe 50hp on a good day.So dose a 4 speed really have that kinda feel.

don't have anything with a 4 speed, but I can tell you a 6 speed is fun lol.

When I used to have the 340 in my car, it was hooked to the built 727 that's still in it- to be honest, I wouldn't have it any other way- it's nice to be able to stab it and go.
No, it doesn't have the 'fun' factor of a manual, but it's more consistent-nothing ever left on my Duster in the old days, believe me-and a 4 speed wouldn't have felt any more powerful either:D

Its a lot more fun. I have 3 cars and they are all manuals. I'd suggest getting a rev limiter just in case you miss a shift so the engine doesn't get damaged.

Me and my wife have 5 vehicles, all are stick shift.
She had to look real hard for a stick shift when she bought her 2011 Caliber.

I did a 4-speed swap into a slant six 74 Dart and really liked it in that car. I went from a 904 to the 833 overdrive. I really miss driving that car and wished I still had it. I always like having the feeling of full control with the 4-speed and the pistol grip was pretty slick too.

The 4-speed is fun to drive, but not the way to go fast. It's literally impossible for a human using a clutch and stick to achieve anything approaching the efficiency of a well built auto with the right torque converter combo.

The 4-speed is fun to drive, but not the way to go fast. It's literally impossible for a human using a clutch and stick to achieve anything approaching the efficiency of a well built auto with the right torque converter combo.

I am just thinking Ronnie Sox.............

They are fun and the pistol grip is a Wow factor, however I wouldn't want to drive one on a daily basis. been their done that. Not fun specially in traffic.

Guess it sort of depends on if you want to enjoy it on the street or go fast at the track. The auto at the track is the way to go. For me on the street I've always enjoyed my standard transmissions. It boils down to what you want to do with the car and what you like. Every daily driver I've ever owned was a standard up until my gas saver Prius.

Ronnie Sox didn't use a stock factory STREET 4 speed, either. It was "slick shifted."

I used stick shifts for years and YEARS, and even back around 72, many guys tried to convince me "how easy" TFs were to set up and rebuild.

I went TF on my 67 because at this time my arthritis completely negates punching a big heavy clutch or rowing a Mopar shifter.

Having said that, my TF has a full manual/ reverse body in it, and is a LOT of fun to drive.

So this is a personal choice. A properly set-up TF with a good converter and the right tires/ rear axle is a tremendous amount of fun.

Its manly a street car some stip.I just like the feeling the 4 speed give of the front end jurking up and it make it feel like the car has more power.

In the hills I live in it's a much better feel to the car! It's fun to have the right gear for the next uphill turn. I have a auto in the car right now and that will be corrected this year...

I am young so I did not get to live the muscle car days so I want.

4 speed big motor lound exaust
Manual steering
Manual brake
heat only

Its manly a street car some stip.I just like the feeling the 4 speed give of the front end jurking up and it make it feel like the car has more power.
Your car will feel faster on the seat of your pants, but at the end of the day you cannot shift faster than that TF. You will increase the value of your car by about 10/15 percent.

I have had both I love a 4 speed car nothing like it. I sold my Ebody 71 slapstick car and keep my swinger340 4 speed it just makes me feel like I am so much more in the experience, but it is more to maintain and not for everyone

I have always been a 4 speed fan. I have owned and driven several a and b body cars over the years.
Go for it, but my word of to advice to you is make sure you get a COMPLETE set up for your car and don't fool around trying to mix and match parts. Install new bushings, clips, etc. in the linkage or you'll HATE it. Make sure the transmission is good inside.
Converting to a 4 speed can be VERY expensive and frustrating especially if you try to cut corners.

-
Back