What's missing on my steering wheel

-

meathead66

Mod Top
Reaction score
Something don't look right here. My steering wheel or shaft wasn't original to the car and don't remember how it goes back together. I know it's not the correct padded horn button but isn't that metal piece go in there somehow? Or am I missing something else? If ya got what I need let me know.

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1662.JPG

Not alot to go on here how about manufacturer if it is aftermarket maybe some photos of the parts as attached now with horn button removed anything would be helpful.

See the piece in the bottom right? That gets fastened to the far side of the steering wheel before putting it on the column. It fills the gap between the column and the trim. The part in the lower left screw to the horn switch (not shown) like your's is now, and the assembly fastens to the near side of the wheel. The padded center gives a 1/3 of a turn to that.

You didn't say what year car you have. The pieces shown are for a 70 up B/C-Body with the ignition switch on the column. For an earlier car without the switch on the column, the lower left piece is slightly different, but the later will fit the earlier, although it leaves a gap that most people won't notice. IIRC, the piece on the lower right isn't used. Earlier won't fit the later and I'm not sure what pieces will fit an A-Body "correctly", but the wheel should bolt up with the later style stuff.

EDIT: After looking at your pics, you have the "earlier" style hub.

KIT_MW913.jpg

Last edited:
You're correct, the horn center is incorrect, and I believe that horn bracket is the correct one for the wheel, but not the center! If it is in fact correct for the center and not the wheel, I have the correct bracket for that wood wheel!

Anyone have the correct pieces I need or know where they are available? It's a 69 Dart with ignition on the dash, auto on the floor? This is what I have.

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

You're correct, the horn center is incorrect, and I believe that horn bracket is the correct one for the wheel, but not the center! If it is in fact correct for the center and not the wheel, I have the correct bracket for that wood wheel!

Sent you an IM.

The piece bolted to the horn switch in the lower picture doesn't belong on that wheel.

The piece bolted to the horn switch in the lower picture doesn't belong on that wheel.

John have I got anything there that does belong so I can do some searching? The horn works! haha Give me a minute and I'll take everything apart and post a picture tomorrow. Maybe I'm only missing the horn button?

Last edited:
Love your dash. Where did you get that from and did it come with the gauges ? Bob

John have I got anything there that does belong so I can do some searching? The horn works! haha Give me a minute and I'll take everything apart and post a picture tomorrow. Maybe I'm only missing the horn button?
You have everything you need. Look at the picture I posted and you'll see how it goes together.

The pieces on top fasten together before they are fastened to the steering wheel. Yellow line.

The center with the red x doesn't belong here.

horn.jpg

Love your dash. Where did you get that from and did it come with the gauges ? Bob

Got the dash from someone on here that was doing them custom ordering and made. Believe he was with “Rocky Mountain Dashes”. Too long ago for me to remember. Told him how I wanted it and he made it with glove box cover. Gauges are Autometer Sport Comp. I will post a pic of the complete dash in the morning.

Here’s a couple of pics. It’s been a long project but I’m seeing the tunnel’ s end. Prolly should have started a build thread couple of years ago. Haha

A69FA109-F0E5-4E7E-85EB-FB1391621DAC.jpeg

78DC49A6-34C4-4140-BA9A-6E7E62E2F2F5.jpeg

228FB1F7-7E89-441E-8317-A2EB37B6EEC3.jpeg

D4F41F4F-66B5-4CB1-AFE9-7AFFD19D4488.jpeg

-
Back