What's the best solvent for freeing up manifold heat control valves?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
What spray solvent can you recommend for freeing up sticky manifold heat control valves? Chrysler doesn't make or sell it anymore, and their rust penetrant doesn't look any good. Thanks.

I've used PB Blaster and keep soaking it. I freed a seized RC car nitro engine using it.

I know my dad has used Marvel Mystery oil to free a locked VW engine.

Acetone and trans fluid has been tossed out there for years.

I had one that was frozen up pretty good, I soaked it in PB Blaster for weeks, sprained it every day.

It would not rotate.

I ended up protecting the shaft ends and started tapping the shaft to the left then the right (just a little) over the next week I got it freeded up enough to rotate.

A couple weeks later I found the manifold had a crack (not from anything I did) so I ended up tossing it.

But I got it completely freedup.

Thanks, Rusty. Is the Seafoam product the equivalent of what used to be manifold heat control valve solvent? If so, how do you recommend I use it on the valve? Thanks as always - cruiser
No, it's Sea Foam in a spray can. I would spray heck out of it, let it sit and then gently tap on each END of the shaft tapping it back and forth. It won't have a lot of room to do that, but it will move enough to help get the sea foam in around the bushings and the shaft.

No, it's Sea Foam in a spray can. I would spray heck out of it, let it sit and then gently tap on each END of the shaft tapping it back and forth. It won't have a lot of room to do that, but it will move enough to help get the sea foam in around the bushings and the shaft.
Sounds good - thanks.

it's made by Ford. Comes in an aerosol, spray it on cold and walk away. Badaboom. Difficult cases might take a lil persuasion. I still have a part can from the 80s, kicking around, lol.

MOPAR sells a graphite based lube that should do it too.

tempImagethkRHA.png

Last edited:
-
Back