whats the name of the red on my 68 340 needs a freshn up

-

chubsgts

Reaction score
looking to buy some paint to redo my motor just the stock red in 68 small block gts
or close to it what every one else is using

thanks

Most places like Mancini and Summit sell the spray cans of engine paint in a variety of colors including the red you'll need.

In 1970 I wanted to touch up the valve covers on my '64 273 so I bought a can of "Chrysler red" engine paint. When I sprayed the valve covers the color was way off. So I got another brand. Not a match either. After trying every brand I could find in town I kind of gave up on matching. Several weeks later my Dad was painting some parts on his International Harvester tractor. The color looked very close so I smeared a bit on my finger and wiped it on my valve cover. It dried to a perfect match. I pulled off my valve covers, cleaned 'em a bit and had him spray them while doing his tractor work. When I bolted them back on the car they looked a perfect match. Later that year the guy down the street put an Offenhauser manifold on his 68 Dart 340. I told him about the IHC Red matching better than any of the factory canned spray paints so he talked my Dad into painting his manifold before he put it on. Again the tractor paint was a perfect match. As a result I've used IHC Red for every small block I've painted red since.

In 1970 I wanted to touch up the valve covers on my '64 273 so I bought a can of "Chrysler red" engine paint. When I sprayed the valve covers the color was way off. So I got another brand. Not a match either. After trying every brand I could find in town I kind of gave up on matching. Several weeks later my Dad was painting some parts on his International Harvester tractor. The color looked very close so I smeared a bit on my finger and wiped it on my valve cover. It dried to a perfect match. I pulled off my valve covers, cleaned 'em a bit and had him spray them while doing his tractor work. When I bolted them back on the car they looked a perfect match. Later that year the guy down the street put an Offenhauser manifold on his 68 Dart 340. I told him about the IHC Red matching better than any of the factory canned spray paints so he talked my Dad into painting his manifold before he put it on. Again the tractor paint was a perfect match. As a result I've used IHC Red for every small block I've painted red since.

That's a cool story. I've noticed the Chrysler red paint tends to "orange" after several heat cycles. The International paint may also be better at staying true to color.

The best paint (and closest to the correct shade of red) I've used lately is by RustOleum. They have it in Chrysler industrial red at Autozone.

Duplicolor engine enamel with "ceramic" whatever that is...is what I used.
Same color. Chrysler red and it lays down very nice on a clean surface.

Mine's in my Av. It is not orange at all. Although for some reason camera flashes make it look orange.
I dunno...but it is indeed a strong shade of red.

-
Back