What's the oldest tool you have ?

-

Rob R

Reaction score
I have my Dads Snap on and Bluepoint tools from 1924.When he got his license the mechanic that he was doing his apprenticeship under gave him some of his old tools.
Snapon tools that have numbers like 1 or 3 , sockets had numbers like 160 or 180 or 200.
My son started to go through my Dads old tools and I had no idea how old those tools were.
Pretty cool.

Those are some old tools. I think the oldest I have are a couple of Ford tools that were in the tool box under the hood of my 49 Ford 8N tractor. I also have a 1950s Snap On nut runner. Very similar to an air ratchet, but high speed, low torque for installing tin on an engine on the assembly line. Oil pans, valve covers and such. Only torques to around 8 LB FT, but gets there in a dang hurry. Still works like new.

all McCormick-Deering, International Havester, "Farmall" tools, circa 1890s to 1930s.
These were for field tool implements originally horse pulled until the first Famall tractors were produced.
Used for adjustments and swapping attachments like cultivator shoes, plow trip springs etc.
I had a set of cultivators and a two bottom "Little Genius" plow to go with them. Pulled with a 1936 F-20.

IMG_5667.JPG
IMG_5671.JPG
IMG_5670.JPG

Last edited:
Hand forged Draw knives and broad axes are very old.
My mechanics tools are 60's and 70's so not too old.

My close friend makes shoes. This machine is the standard all over the world. Late 1800s, i believe.
20210708_134814.jpg

I have my Great Grandfathers tool boxes, both date to the late 1800s, the smaller box was restored by my grandfather in the 80s.
Most all the tools in both boxes are the original tools from that era, my grandfather may have added a few.
IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2109.JPG

As for as tools in my box, I have stuff back to the 50s (and maybe earlier) that belong to my grandfather. Nothing that stands out as being old.

Alan

Made by what looks like H.D. Smith & Co. Has a date stamp of Feb 26, 1901. : )
IMG_0283.jpg

I have a few of my grandfathers tools. The anvil is my favorite. He made horse shoes on it. No clue how old it is. I also have his rolling tool cart he used when we worked for White Bus in Washington DC. He put a 3/8" steel plate on top so he could lower bus transmissions on to it and roll them away. The drawers use angle and you grease them to glide them on. It was galvanized at one point then painted green. I think its from the 1930's.

I have my Dads Snap on and Bluepoint tools from 1924.When he got his license the mechanic that he was doing his apprenticeship under gave him some of his old tools.
Snapon tools that have numbers like 1 or 3 , sockets had numbers like 160 or 180 or 200.
My son started to go through my Dads old tools and I had no idea how old those tools were.
Pretty cool.
Old craftsman benchtop drill press late 50-60's, valve seat grinder from 61, 70s sk 1/4 set, 60s or 70s proto crescent , 60s cornwell sockets. Old 60/70s speedmaster 1/2 sockets..Bout it.

I've got some of my dad's old tools from the late 40s or early 50s. The oldest thing in my garage is probably my 1930s workbench from the Seal Beach, CA Dow chemical plant. 12' long by 32" deep.

Pre-1900 monkey wrench similar to post #12.

I still use it frequently.

Takes the place of large socket set and hammer in my junkyard tool bag and weighs less.

I have a rectal thermometer my uncle stole from a Japanese boat at the end of wwII. It stores in a wooden tube and measures in Celsius.
No I dont "still" use it. :) Probably not my oldest but maybe most noteworthy.

1940 and 1944 Walker Turner 15” floor model drill presses. The 1944 is the light gray one, the 1940 is the dirty one, but I bought it for $45! Both run like new! Have a 1950’s Craftsman vise, too. Have a few combo wrenches that are probably older.

CF37785A-C304-44A4-8112-5CFF349563A9.jpeg

9B246946-F2C0-40BB-A3E0-0A89C7ABE06B.jpeg

I have my Great Grandfathers tool boxes, both date to the late 1800s, the smaller box was restored by my grandfather in the 80s.
Most all the tools in both boxes are the original tools from that era, my grandfather may have added a few.
View attachment 1715762982

View attachment 1715762983

View attachment 1715762984

As for as tools in my box, I have stuff back to the 50s (and maybe earlier) that belong to my grandfather. Nothing that stands out as being old.
I have some saws that look just like yours and that square also...very nice!

Alan

I have those saws and the square those were my dads also...very cool!

I have two that were my dads. a pair of pliers, and a wooden handles screw driver. They date back to WW11 or the 50s.
MY dad passed in 1982 at age 78 and they lived in Ga and me in Mo. I flew down for the funeral. I was at a horse sale in Tx when he passed. I flew to Ga and friends drove my rig back to Mo. for me.
I never thought once about such as his tools when I was there, and later found that the neighbor (my age), went over and "bought" all his tools off my mother. I seriously considered driving that 1000i trip there just to attempt to whip is ***, bad.
When confronted, he said they were all just mixed in with his stuff.

-
Back