What's the size of a 383 4 sp clutch in a 69 Cuda?

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
i have to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing on my 69 383 4 speed Barracuda. it is all stock. i think it takes the 10.5" clutch and pressure plate. i've got a bunch of books but i thought i'd be lazy and ask the FABO experts... LOL!

also, anyone know the torque specs. for the pressure plate bolts?

thanks!

transmission pic.jpg

If they're 3/8 bolts on the pressure plate, 30 LB FT. Also on the clutch, I am almost 100% positive it takes a 10.5". If you can find a bellhousing casting number, that would tell you. Lastly, if you clutch shopping, get the 10.95" clutch, as it is a direct swap from the 10.5 and offers a little more surface area. The extra area is accomplished by the scalloped pressure plate. If you still have the big over center spring on the clutch pedal under the dash, you'll need to stick with the three finger Borg and Beck heady duty style clutch. If someone has done away with that spring, it probably has a diaphragm clutch in it. The 10.95 is available in either style......I would try to stick with the heavy duty Borg and Beck, as that's what it had originally. Hope that helped.

See post #2. 10.5 or 10.95. Check starter socket on your bellhousing if using the 10.95 as there can be interference between it and the pressure plate. Just grind the bellhousing boss for clearance. They also made a hybrid Borg & Beck/Long pressure plate that is nice.

the way I always told was Cast iron bell 11" aluminum 10.5 . usually held true for me ? 1970 was the first year for aluminum BB bell 10.5

the way I always told was Cast iron bell 11" aluminum 10.5 . usually held true for me ? 1970 was the first year for aluminum BB bell 10.5
The stock bellhousing in my 64 Belvedere is cast iron and has a 10-1/2” flywheel. The 69 bellhousing that I sold earlier this year was cast iron and was for 11”.

I know "normally" if the bellhousing is original A body, they are the 10.5", because of the A body's smaller dimensions. So far, I've not seen an 11" bellhousing that was original to an A body. But that might mean very little. lol

I guess you know that the PP, is a re-useable part. If you like yours and it is doing well, then you can reuse it. It may require surfacing, but you won't know that until you get it down. The disc is the normal wear part, and you can get those in several different "power-ratings" .

Passon has the 2468372 cast bell and 130 tooth flywheel for '66-'69 Abody. Best bet is just count the teeth between flywheel bolt holes.
130/6=21.6 teeth
143/6=23.8

i own a 69 383 s
it takes a 10.5 flywheel and clutch. And for the record they came with heavy cast bell housing!

-
Back