Wheel House Question

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I axed this question up in the Members Restorations forum and didn't get any hits.............
I noticed this when I replaced the quarter on the passenger side as well and can't figure out a reason for it..............the outer wheel house has two slices, at a right angle to the edge of the pinch weld flange at the 10 and 2 o"clock positions. Anyone have an idea why they are there? Any reason why I shouldn't weld 'em up? L8r

If you mean in the lip of the wheel arch, I would assume it is there for stress relief while they were forming the complex compound curves required for the panel. Year, make, and model might help some give advice. If it bothers you weld it up and then seal it up real good with standard rust prevention compounds.

Yup, the cuts are in the lip of the arch. The car is a 71 Dart. It doesn't really "bother" me, I was just curious why they might be there. They line up so well, it looks like they may have been cut after the stamping. Don't see any evidence that the quarter has been replaced previous to me carving it up. Thanks.

-
Back