Wheels and Tires?

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After doing some measuring last night, I have come to the following conclusion. I want to stuff as much tire as I can on the back end without mini tubbing the Demon. I have come up with the following max sizes for tires and wheels.

Wheels
American Raciing Outlaw 1 - 15x8 5 on 4.5, 3.75" backspacing

Tires
Mickey Thompson Sportsman Pro

26x10.5x15
tread width - 8.0"
section - 10.4"
diameter - 26"

or

28x10.5x15
tread width - 8.3
section - 11.2
diameter - 28"

Does this sound right to you guys with Demons, Dart Sports and Dusters?

Jack

Those American Racing Outlaws are some nice wheels, eh? ;-)

I've got them on the back of my car (the other half of the fronts I sold you), I just put a pair of 29.5x9 tires on there. I'm not positive what the backspacing is, but I'm guessing they're similar to yours - 15x8m 5 on 4.5. There's only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch between the tire and the leaf spring.

Hey Mikel,

The wheels cleaned up real good, I used some Neverdull on them and a very little bit of elbow grease. (Thanks) The wife says they look almost new.

I'm thinking that if I go with the 26x10.5x15 that it should give me a little better bottom end seeing as I will be using 3.91 gears. Plus there will be a little more clearance through the section of the tire.

When you put your SS spings in, you left them in the stock location didn't you? I'm putting the same springs in mine and they are staying in the stock location.

Jack

Coyote Jack said:
Hey Mikel,

The wheels cleaned up real good, I used some Neverdull on them and a very little bit of elbow grease. (Thanks) The wife says they look almost new.

I'm thinking that if I go with the 26x10.5x15 that it should give me a little better bottom end seeing as I will be using 3.91 gears. Plus there will be a little more clearance through the section of the tire.

When you put your SS spings in, you left them in the stock location didn't you? I'm putting the same springs in mine and they are staying in the stock location.

Jack

Good, I knew those wheels would look nice if somebody took the time to care for them. I just never had the time. ;-)

Yep - the SS springs are in the stock location on my Duster. I'm not sure if you'll be able to fit 10.5 wide tires on there, though.

With the section of the tire at 10.4 and the wheel opening being about 11.5 and a 3.75 back spacing on the 8" wheels I'm hoping. It will be tight with only about a half inch of clearence on the sides but it should work. Hopefully I won't have to bend any sheet metal. The actual tread width is only 8 inches.

Jack

-
Back