When they finally go BOOM

-

TylerW

Reaction score
I was out at the junkyard recently and "adopted" a Super Six intake, carb, and air cleaner(which I might sell) from a '79 Volare sedan. I wondered why the "high" side of the engine was so oily, and when I got the intake off, I discovered a large hole in the side of the crankcase where 2 rods had exited . A large piece of one rod was later found on the driver-side inner fender apron. There was also at least one pushrod laying in the oil pan. A flying chunk of metal had also hit the exhaust downpipe hard enough to put a hole in it.

I went back this past weekend for the starter, which I passed on because it was a reman, and found even more destruction. These engines have mythology, but this makes #6 that I've encountered with knocks or chucked rods. Check it out.

found this pic on the net!

Lewtons302afterRevtestlores.jpg

This is what happened to mine when it decided to go boom...

VZM.IMG_20170106_200153_zps6ikw1uqv.jpg

20170106_193351_zpsjmzzgjm0.jpg

the first pic looks like a car that showed up to a small car get-together we had at Bow-Edison in WA state. I think they were from BC, Canada. They covered the hole with plastic sheeting and silicone, and we're going to try to drive it back home. I don't know if they made it driving that car, but they gave it a try.

Well, they can be almost indestructible but that one probably didn't get much maintenance.

Let me know if you're serious about selling the super six stuff. It must be good if it helped blow that thing up.

-
Back