where to find 273 - 340 double lip silicon rear main seal ?

-

LIONEL

Lio
Reaction score
Hi, i'm rebuilding my 1968 340, i prefer to install a silicon double lip rear main seal (cheap insurance against oil leak) like the Superformance # 9340 seal
But it's backordered and not available By Mancini or Hugues
Does someone know where is it possible to find this kind of seal ?
thanks
Capture d’écran 2024-08-08 à 08.42.35.png

Hi, i'm rebuilding my 1968 340, i prefer to install a silicon double lip rear main seal (cheap insurance against oil leak) like the Superformance # 9340 seal
But it's backordered and not available By Mancini or Hugues
Does someone know where is it possible to find this kind of seal ?
thanks
View attachment 1716301122
who has it on back order? It looks like classic may have it in stock?

If you have not already, call Superformance directly.

Just call Rick at Superformance. I believe they are Viton. It's been awhile, maybe you can't get him on the phone anymore........
Worth a try.

thank you all, for your reply
i sent an email to Superformance (Greg) one month ago, but no response
i will call Rick at Superformance to know if they still have seals

Same as a 5.2 magnum seal minus the wings. Rock auto enginetech #S0605 5.2 magnum Viton double lip seal , and enginetech S1196 standard 273-340 single lip seal with attached wings .Trim the wings from the single lip seal and use with the double lip seal and a little silicone to seal the joint for about $12.00

in order to fully understand, do i have to install one part of the #S0605 and one of the S1196 ?
why not only the S0605 ? in what groove : block or main cap ?

To my knowledge no one makes a double lip Viton 340 rear seal with the wings attached as per the single lip seal . The Mancini and super performance seals come with detached wings that you glue in place in the grooves in the rear main cap . You can make you own using the S0605 seal and by cutting the wings off the S1196 seal to fill the gap on the rear main cap. The factory 340 rear seals are all single lip. The double lip Viton seal was a magnum design improvement and the 5.9 seal is a direct replacement for the la 360 . In the 5.2 they eliminated the grooves and the wings so you have to make your own or use silicone to seal the groove in the cap.

Last edited:
So what's different about your application than the millions of other Chrysler small blocks that have been assembled through time with a conventional single lip seal and didn't leak?

thank you all, for your reply
i sent an email to Superformance (Greg) one month ago, but no response
i will call Rick at Superformance to know if they still have seals
now that you mention it.........I think the original owner IS Greg. I don't know why I keep thinking Rick........my bad.

-
Back