Where to place floor jack and jackstans when changing front shocks

-

JozefJ

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im ging to replace the original front shocks on my '73 dart sport with a set of Sachs 030 816 shocks. Im just looking where to put the floor jack and jackstands.
Im guessing the LCA isnt the best place because the shocks are coming out. But I cant figure out where to put them otherwise.

And what would you advise: wheels on or off? I've seen both but cant decide..

TIA for thinking along!

20241007_160532.jpg

Put the stands under the frame rails and use the jack as needed to raise the lower control arm if necessary. Pulling the wheels aren't necessary.

Agree, K frame for the jack, stands under the rails near where the K frame bolts in. Pulling the wheels isn’t necessary but it can definitely make life easier. For the shocks you want to suspension fully extended to make it easier so no jack should be needed under the LCA.

Also, just an FYI, if this picture was taken at ride height you need to raise your ride height. Because in this picture the bump stop is in contact with the frame…
IMG_7864.jpeg

Agree, K frame for the jack, stands under the rails near where the K frame bolts in. Pulling the wheels isn’t necessary but it can definitely make life easier. For the shocks you want to suspension fully extended to make it easier so no jack should be needed under the LCA.

Also, just an FYI, if this picture was taken at ride height you need to raise your ride height. Because in this picture the bump stop is in contact with the frame…
View attachment 1716312855
Thanks a lot! The picture was indeed taken at ride hight with four wheels on the floor. Any tips on how to raise ride height? And how much should it be heightened?

TIA

Testing my memory. lol 5/8" bolt head and 11 1/6" nut? Agree with above.

If they’re original, yes. At least the lower shock bolts I’ve encountered have been. 5/8” head and 11/16” nut. But if they’ve been swapped they can be almost anything.

Thanks a lot! The picture was indeed taken at ride hight with four wheels on the floor. Any tips on how to raise ride height? And how much should it be heightened?

TIA

You can raise the front ride height by tightening the torsion bar adjusting bolt, which is on the bottom of the LCA. This should be done with no weight on the suspension.

But it’s more complicated than just that. If you raise it up you will need an alignment, because raising the suspension changes the alignment specs.

How much you need to raise it depends on your torsion bars too. I see you have aftermarket upper control arms, so I wouldn’t want to assume you have stock torsion bars.

The factory measurement is in the FSM, this is the relevant page. A-bodies are the “V and L” car line. If you have stock torsion bars, you’ll need to get close to the factory measurement or you’ll constantly be hitting the bump stops

IMG_1893.jpeg

-
Back