Which 318 should I build ?

-
budget?
40% off sale at pick a part for a roller block or \magnum 360
especially if you have to bore a 318
both your cores are low compression 318s
not a good place to start
eiter have 502 heads?
so no compression and heads that need a lot of work and still not get you very fat per $$$ spent

budget?
40% off sale at pick a part for a roller block or \magnum 360
Since he is building what he has and/or wants to build, this advice, while sound in making better power, is ill advised and only Leeds to spending more money and throwing away a good core.

This advice is 95% not helpful.
especially if you have to bore a 318
Who is to say the next engine won’t need an overbore?
both your cores are low compression 318s
not a good place to start
Like most every other engine?
[/QUOTE]
eiter have 502 heads?
so no compression and heads that need a lot of work and still not get you very fat per $$$ spent[/QUOTE]
Like every other build?
:rofl:

sell the cores
late 360s drop in with a manifold, fuel pump
lets see if either of the 318s are just re-ringable with a hone
heads need guides
etc

With you constantly trashing 318’s, it would be a wonder for him to sell a good core since many give away these engines. Or was that a joke I missed? Dry humor and sarcasm often missed. My bad,,,,, carry on....
:lol:

OP asked about building a 318 he has.....the forum will quickly morph into build a 360, then as long as long as you are building a 360 (you don't have) why not a stroker. We need a forum just for 318's as they are so popular with so many questions. Not everyone wants or needs all out power.

^^^^Over the decades I have had everything from slants to hemis but after awhile, sometimes we get to the point where having the most power is not needed!!!
I enjoy the sound of a v8 over my slants, not a racer, just enjoy working and driving my old Mopars. Nothing wrong for me to have a good running stock low compression teener!!!!
Like said, sometime a prson will GIVE you a good running teener!!!! Heck yea!!!!

OP asked about building a 318 he has.....the forum will quickly morph into build a 360, then as long as long as you are building a 360 (you don't have) why not a stroker. We need a forum just for 318's as they are so popular with so many questions. Not everyone wants or needs all out power.

^^^^Over the decades I have had everything from slants to hemis but after awhile, sometimes we get to the point where having the most power is not needed!!!
I enjoy the sound of a v8 over my slants, not a racer, just enjoy working and driving my old Mopars. Nothing wrong for me to have a good running stock low compression teener!!!!
Like said, sometime a prson will GIVE you a good running teener!!!! Heck yea!!!!
All advice will lead to cutting a 1.55 60 ft time and oiling mods to be sure it will survive 8000 rpms every single day :D

ok go price pistons and bore and hone with a torqueplate for a 50 year old 318 unless he gets very lucky =
plus cam lifters timing chain gaskets and whatever head work he needs
btw what pistons?
he can get a late magnum 318 for all I care - still a better deal just run a compression check before you bull it from a wrecked vehicle- shows it was running
fuel injected motors wear much better than carbed motors
who cares about 60 ft times with this project
neither of those motors are high compression 318s
if he wants to regrind the roller cam all he needs are pushrods

ok go price pistons and bore and hone with a torqueplate for a 50 year old 318 unless he gets very lucky =
Gets lucky.... how...???? With what???? The above should be standard practice on any engine being rebuilt.

plus cam lifters timing chain gaskets and whatever head work he needs
btw what pistons?
who cares about 60 ft times with this project
neither of those motors are high compression 318s
if he wants to regrind the roller cam all he needs are pushrods

Your sentences seem to be out of order random thoughts on multiple engines. Focus!

Pistons for what engine? The LA? I’d do the KB’s. Fiat or domed, depends on the goal...

I got a great idea! Why don’t you help the guy build what he wants (a 318) or just hush up?

he does not want to buy pistons
just rebuild one of the motors he has
that may not work
if neither of the block will work with just a hone and rings he has some decisions to make
I hope he gets lucky with his blocks but would not put money on it
go pick on will it run :)

post 1
"Ps budget build so rebuild will mean gaskets all around mild cam and upgrade intake and new rings"
and rumble talks about a performance rebuild
what's your plan B rumble if both his blocks have huge ridges?
rumble halucinates
"Pistons for what engine? The LA? I’d do the KB’s. Fiat or domed, depends on the goal..."
the op does not want to do pistons, just hone and rings so I hope he gets lucky
ruble misses the point, right over his head
"Gets lucky.... how...???? With what???? The above should be standard practice on any engine being rebuilt."
of course it should be but his definition of rebuilt is new rings not your definition of standard practice

I go into every build expecting a bore job and new pistons. its all but automatic.

he does not want to buy pistons
just rebuild one of the motors he has
that may not work
if neither of the block will work with just a hone and rings he has some decisions to make
go pick on will it run :)
What is “Go pick on will it run?”
If you think I’m picking on you well then you are certainly delusional.

With his engines and what he stated he wanted to do, it is a gamble, period, So is a junk yard engine of any make model and year bar none. While modern ones are a good to great bet, it is still money spent that may not be needed or a route he wants to take. He wants to try and just do a re ring job. While this may or may not work, this remains to be seen. I’d assume any engine I get needs to get a bore enlarged.
post 1
"Ps budget build so rebuild will mean gaskets all around mild cam and upgrade intake and new rings"
and rumble talks about a performance rebuild
what's your plan B rumble if both his blocks have huge ridges?
I do not talk about a performance build here but you ALWAYS push a large aggressive cam...
Hypocrite! And Delusional on your behalf. If there was anything race oriented, it was your mention of 60 foot times.
You wrote “Pistons” and I gave my reply on what I would do which depended on the type or goal of the build. One slug could be used for stock replacement / upgraded or light race and the other would be a race slug.
That was an answer to you and not a suggestion to the OP

My plan “B”?
I don’t need a plan B because I would assume it needs it even before I look. I’d hope it wouldn’t need it but if it did, It would just be part of plan A.
rumble halucinates
Wyrm trips on acid.... Constantly! :realcrazy::BangHead::D:p
ruble misses the point, right over his head
Pot calling the dish black. Wake up brother! Wake up!!!! The only thing semi over my head is your replies looking like incoherent babble.
Also spell check.....

of course it should be but his definition of rebuilt is new rings not your definition of standard practice
What the fudge are you babbling about?
Jesus H Wyrm!!!!!!!
Are you even awake? Reading the same thread.
What freakin planet are you eating mushrooms on bro!
WTF?!?!?!

You really need to proof read your post and organize your thoughts into a coherent paragraph.

Not my definition? Wake up! I never gave it!
Been rebuilding engines for 34 years now without failure thank you very much. I am sure how to get it done and yet you throw stones like a child. Mental check yourself dude!

If your not going to help the OP rebuild the engine of his choice, then why are you here?

I go into every build expecting a bore job and new pistons. its all but automatic.

Dang skippy!!!!
But always hoping for the best.

Last edited:
op wrote post 1
Ps budget build so rebuild will mean gaskets all around mild cam and upgrade intake and new rings
rumble can't you read or do you have a comprehension problem or ADD"

what does your or Volaredon's definition of rebuild have to do with op's definition??

op wrote post 1
Ps budget build so rebuild will mean gaskets all around mild cam and upgrade intake and new rings
rumble can't you read or do you have a comprehension problem or ADD"

what does your or Volaredon's definition of rebuild have to do with op's definition??
Technically if you look at the old Chilton's or Mitchell flat rate guide, a "rebuild" simply means that you disassembled and reassembled an engine. Nothing about machine work either yay it nay. If I remember right it includes cleaning and inspection, and reassembly with new gaskets. But if I am going to go thru all of that and don't want to have a redo, I count on the engine needing everything until proven different by inspection and measurements. I only want to rebuild any given engine one time. Like tget say assume the worst hope for the best

Me too
and with the shop it was diy
not so with the op
I do hope his blocks are re-ringable
I expected some pics and dial bore measurements by now- or at least snap guages and a caliper
can't really say anything till we see if his blocks are useable without new pistons
which would also get the compression up
but pistons for 318s are tough on a budger

Me too
and with the shop it was diy
not so with the op
I do hope his blocks are re-ringable
I expected some pics and dial bore measurements by now- or at least snap guages and a caliper
can't really say anything till we see if his blocks are useable without new pistons
which would also get the compression up
but pistons for 318s are tough on a budger
So yes just will be getting new rings and doing a valve job to heads

-
Back