Which best for street strip

-

bluefish

mopar dave
Reaction score
3400# 67 barracuda with 511 and cnc'd mw victors on pump gas. 270/.640-110 sft cam. 5000 stall 8" vert/727 dana with 28" tire. Currenly 4.30 in use. I have a 4.10 in the box or if i change to diff series carrier i could go 3.73. I dont want to lose any performance and run the 1/4 mile. Which gear would be best?

Gear your car so that it's just at redline going through the traps. Keep in mind that changing the gear will affect the way the converter works.

3400/600hp at a guess?, 28" tyre/4.30's=
6663 trap rpm+slip
4.10's = 6353+
3.73 = 5780+
270@.050 in a 511 may not pull to 7000, my mates 271@.50 solid in a 440 with a 5000 stall was done @6800, 4.10's sounds the best gear.

3400/600hp at a guess?, 28" tyre/4.30's=
6663 trap rpm+slip
4.10's = 6353+
3.73 = 5780+
270@.050 in a 511 may not pull to 7000, my mates 271@.50 solid in a 440 with a 5000 stall was done @6800, 4.10's sounds the best gear.
Ok. Driving it, it does seem to be out of breath by 6800, so 6500-6800 may be the peak hp.

LOL you may as well go with 4.56 gears, i drove a combo like that on the street, and it wasn't very street friendly. I ended up selling the car and building the duster, more street friendly. And even at 525 hp, this car now is still a handful.

your head port will help it rpm higher and converter slip comes into it as well mate

your head port will help it rpm higher and converter slip comes into it as well mate
Ok. Intake port measures 330cc and flows a max of 356cfm. The vert had 6% slippage behind the small block. Not sure what it is behind this 511 combo. Thanks

Just for reference sake. My 468 BBC with 12.0-1 compression, small AFR 305 rec port heads, with a solid roller .692/.685 with .262/.270 @.050 on a 112 LSA, made 708 HP and 622 tq. Peak hp was at 6400 rpm. The motor needed a larger cam and larger head, but this was supposed to be a street car. lol With 4.56 gears and a 31 " tall ET street tire, i would go through the top end at 6500 on the motor, 7000 on the 150 shot and 7200 on the 250 shot. This was through the mufflers and tailpipes. I had a Coan glide with a 9" 5000 stall Nitrous converter.

LOL you may as well go with 4.56 gears, i drove a combo like that on the street, and it wasn't very street friendly. I ended up selling the car and building the duster, more street friendly. And even at 525 hp, this car now is still a handful.
..and thats just it, what works for the strip rarely works as well on the street and vise versa. Invest in a Quick Change.

..and thats just it, what works for the strip rarely works as well on the street and vise versa. Invest in a Quick Change.
Gear it for max rpm hp thru the traps and deal with it on the street. About the best you can do. Im just not sure where max rpm hp is at yet. May have to visit a chassis dyno.

Several years ago there was a street 68 Dart around here with a big stroker, around 600" IIRC that ran 6.0 in the 1/8. I was standing on my trailer watching test passes the first time I saw it run and remember thinking when it left it was probably going to run high 7's or so, but it was flying on the big end and when the numbers came up I about fell off the trailer. When it came back down the return road it didn't sound like a 6.0 car and only had 275 radials on it. Curosity got the best of me and I had to check it out. To my surprise there was no power adders, just a big block, then the owner told me how big it was. While we were talking I mentioned it looked soft off the line and he then told me it only had 3.23 gears. That explained the big end charge and huge mph, I would love to have seen it run the 1/4 just to see what the mph was.

The 3.73 gear may be a little slower early but the big end charge will be a hoot! I don't believe you'll see much difference between the 4.30 and 4.10. I didn't when I went from a 3.91 to a 4.30 with a small block.

Several years ago there was a street 68 Dart around here with a big stroker, around 600" IIRC that ran 6.0 in the 1/8. I was standing on my trailer watching test passes the first time I saw it run and remember thinking when it left it was probably going to run high 7's or so, but it was flying on the big end and when the numbers came up I about fell off the trailer. When it came back down the return road it didn't sound like a 6.0 car and only had 275 radials on it. Curosity got the best of me and I had to check it out. To my surprise there was no power adders, just a big block, then the owner told me how big it was. While we were talking I mentioned it looked soft off the line and he then told me it only had 3.23 gears. That explained the big end charge and huge mph, I would love to have seen it run the 1/4 just to see what the mph was.

The 3.73 gear may be a little slower early but the big end charge will be a hoot! I don't believe you'll see much difference between the 4.30 and 4.10. I didn't when I went from a 3.91 to a 4.30 with a small block.
I agree. Have been told when using a high stall vert, gear changes wont make much difference on yur time slip. So you just gear for max hp rpm thru the traps.

With the 4.25 stroke and large port head its probably about 6500-6600 rpm. Would be nice if someone on here had simular build and knew.

Right now it cruises at 60mph with 3000 rpm. Cruising at 70 with 3000rpm should probably be my target as well . just another way to look at it.

My duster has 3.73 gears, and a M/T 275/60/15 Drag radial on it. I cruise 60 mph around 2600 rpm by the speedo. 28" tall tire.

Ok. I have the 325/50/15 m/t radial R. Same height.
interesting;
I HAVE ABOUT THE SAME COMBINATION, W/ A SMALLER SOLID ROLLER, VERY LOOSE 3800 CONVERTOR, 3;73 REAR GEARED DANA 60, W/ 295 65 15 M/T DRAG.RAD. ON IT. HAVEN`T RUN IT YET BUT EXPECTING A STRONG BIG END IN IT. ALSO HAVE A SET OF 275 65 15`S MOUNTED TO COMPARE---
MY RAISED PORT VICTOR KNOCK OFFS CNC`d ''STANDARD PORTS'' FLOW 354@.600 LIFT.
I HAVE READ MORE THAN ONCE THAT THE MAX WEDGE PORTED HEADS DON`T FLOW MUCH MORE THAN THE CNC`D STANDARD PORTS.
THIS THING REVS LIKE A SBC . VELLY VELLY INTERETHTING !!

interesting;
I HAVE ABOUT THE SAME COMBINATION, W/ A SMALLER SOLID ROLLER, VERY LOOSE 3800 CONVERTOR, 3;73 REAR GEARED DANA 60, W/ 295 65 15 M/T DRAG.RAD. ON IT. HAVEN`T RUN IT YET BUT EXPECTING A STRONG BIG END IN IT. ALSO HAVE A SET OF 275 65 15`S MOUNTED TO COMPARE---
I HAVE READ MORE THAN ONCE THAT THE MAX WEDGE PORTED HEADS DON`T FLOW MUCH MORE THAN THE CNC`D STANDARD PORTS. VELLY VELLY INTERETHTING !!

OH, FORGOT , 3273 POUNDS W/ 1/2 TANK OF 91 LAWNMOWER GAS----------

WE COULD HAVE AN INTERESTING GRUDGE MATCH !!

interesting;
I HAVE READ MORE THAN ONCE THAT THE MAX WEDGE PORTED HEADS DON`T FLOW MUCH MORE THAN THE CNC`D STANDARD PORTS.
THIS THING REVS LIKE A SBC . VELLY VELLY INTERETHTING !!
Not totally impressed with the victors, but i dont think there holding me back much. Revs real nice.

Not totally impressed with the victors, but i dont think there holding me back much. Revs real nice.
do you have close clearances everywhere ? mine is tite everywhere but nothing rubs---------
sure is hell to get to the trans to block bolts too.

If i build another big block Dodge motor, i am staying away from Eddy heads, i think they are a bottle neck unless reworked. I will go with TF 240 heads.

If i build another big block Dodge motor, i am staying away from Eddy heads, i think they are a bottle neck unless reworked. I will go with TF 240 heads.
If the trick flow 270 would have been available at the time i would have went that route as well.

do you have close clearances everywhere ? mine is tite everywhere but nothing rubs---------
sure is hell to get to the trans to block bolts too.
plugs are easy to get at. Some tight spots but not an issue. I installed the motor and trans as 1 unit.

-
Back