Which Carb Type?

-

swingendart

Reaction score
We have a 1970 Dart Swinger 340 4spd. Only mods is electronic ignition with a mallory box, Headers and edelbrock street intake and possible a cam? (engine was claimed to be stock but we have an idle vac of 14 in/hg).

We are looking into a new carb after not being able to get ours set right. The car is used as a cruiser that may occasional get honked on(wink, wink, this is the owners son typing).

We are thinking a 600-700 CFM Range. Everyone one has different opinions on what brand, but they either race or never owned a mopar.

Anybody have an idea or experience with a certian carb that uses the car for cruising?

Those Edeljunks are just that. They cant read the vacum correctly and will stumble off idle if you have any cam at all. Plus alot of them leak gas into the engine while sitting a week or so. Not good!
Been there and it's a big crowd. I run a Speed Demon 750 and love it. It is all good. Crusing, racing, start up, idle. No bad to it.
Demon carbs hold their value pretty good too.

Price wise you can beat an edelbrock. I have had great luck with them in the past. I would go 600 cfm mech sec.

Demons and holley's are good too, but if you want simple and reliable go edelbrock. JMO

Just what I was saying. If cash was no problem I would have a Demon or Bigs under my hood. For now I'll stick with my eddy or old 650 Holley

$50-$60 is still too much for an Edeljunk, leaking POS. We dump them in the big blue barrel.

Edeljunk $289.00 used 1 day Maybe $50
575 Road Demon $319.00 used 2 years $200+

What is the issue here again?

Eddy's are easy to tune because they don't have anything to tune, no power, leak internally, mid range lean out. The only reason they work is they are so small that they manage to keep the velocity up to create a decent idle after that they're done.

That's my opinion...but what the hell do i know anyway?

Wow , quite a range of opinions here. I have a vac seconday 750 Holley on my old 400 in my Barracuda and I love it. Would not trade it for anything but another Holley. Just my opinion :salut:

107_0715.jpg

I had an eddy 600cfm on a slighty warmed over 360 and it wasn't to bad but had some tunning issues I could not over come. At the time I thought it was my inexperience at carbs. Than I built myself a 360 that had some nuts and tried to run a eddy 750cfm. Nobody I went to could help me get it tuned right. I ended up selling it and getting a 650 cfm mighty demon and haven't had any issues since.

Carter, Edelbrock, Holley or Demon- they will all work if properly set up. Go with what you are comfortable with, or with what your friends are comfortable with, that way you will have some help and maybe easy access to spare and tuning parts.
BTW- if you are going to buy parts based on their resale value, might as well not bother as they are never worth as much as you paid!

My 340 Duster had a 600cfm Holley on it. At the time I thought it ran ok and worked good. But could never really get the tune set up. Pulled it apart oen day to find the rear bowl Full of scale. -The joy of buying a car sight unseen- So a guy at work lends me his edelbrock of unknowen size of his warmed 390. It was ever worse! Ran and started like ****. The guy who had it on his 390 never had a kind word for it either. So I figured I could buy a new edelbrock and be unhappy, Have a Holley and never get 100% tune down or spend 100 bucks more and have a Demon.

Bought a Demon from Don. Learned how to set it -sure its not 100% yet- Carb came jetted and ready to roll for my engine. A few test and tunes on a lonely highway and the car starts good has amazeing throttle response and not a hint of bog. And as a bonous everyone always thinks a demon looks cool. I run no choke on my car and it never fails to start even when its cold, I store the car for winters and it still starts good. Last winter it sat outside and would fire up at -15deg c with no issues.

71Duster said:
Bought a Demon from Don. Learned how to set it -sure its not 100% yet- Carb came jetted and ready to roll for my engine. A few test and tunes on a lonely highway and the car starts good has amazeing throttle response and not a hint of bog. And as a bonous everyone always thinks a demon looks cool. I run no choke on my car and it never fails to start even when its cold, I store the car for winters and it still starts good. Last winter it sat outside and would fire up at -15deg c with no issues.

I bought my Demon from Don also. I pretty much experience the same thing going to a Demon. With and edelbroke I had to run a choke even in the summer.

Mopar4ever said:
BTW- if you are going to buy parts based on their resale value, might as well not bother as they are never worth as much as you paid!

I don't think thats was his point! I think he was just trying to say you get what you pay for!

I love the Demon. Nothing bad about it. Start up, idle, the transition is smooth. Looks great, Best resale of any carb.

An Edelbrock cannot be set up to run well on a large cam engine. I had a 242 @50. No way it could make a smooth transition off idle. Cant read the vacum.

-
Back