Which Dash Frame Fasteners (early A)?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Dash frame was removed at the body shop almost three years ago and now I'm lost searching for the dash frame stuff. Who knows what the fasteners look like, two lower bolts for lower slot brackets, five or more fasteners around the lower edge of the windshield, five or so of some kind of nuts to fasten the padded dash pad? I'll keep looking for some kind of labeled bag. Thank you.

dash frame 3.JPG

Dash frame 1.JPG

dash frame 5.JPG

dash frame 2.JPG

dash frame 6.JPG

dash frame 4.JPG

Going from memory, The padded dash used PAL nuts (aka speed nuts) and possibly a couple of screws. When I took the dash out of my 65, it was held in at the windshield with machine screws with built in washers. Down below on the kick panel area ordinary bolts (I just left mine in place) and where the lower dash is secured to the brake support, nuts with built-in washers

Just took a couple out of my 66 Dart to snap a photo for you. The ones around the windshield are 1/2" long (under washer) machine screws with a 3/8" head and captured washer. The two at the kick panel are 1-1/8" long (under washer) with 7/16" head and large captured washer.

I don't have the dash pad nuts handy since I've eliminated my dash pad, but I believe they should be stamped PAL nuts like 65 Dartman said. If I recall, they should be 3/8" wrench size.

upload_2021-1-18_8-14-22.png

upload_2021-1-18_8-14-32.png

upload_2021-1-18_8-20-40.jpeg

Thanks. I found a bag without a tag with the correct fasteners evidently, along with the headlamp pull-switch, and some other (for now) unidentified fasteners (see photo #1). I only have three of the smaller machine screws which appear to be self-tapping (have a groove perpendicular to the threads at the point).

In the meantime I had searched the internet and found what was advertised as dash frame fastener kit (see photo #2). The online kit includes the smaller five fasteners but with speed nuts (is that what you call them?). Looking at the one inch distance from the fastener hole to the sheet metal edge (see photo #3) I don't see any application for a speed nut because it just would not fit in that location.

I will continue the search for the five PAL nuts (although I have better things to do!).

dash frame 8.JPG

dash frame fasteners.jpg

dash frame 10.JPG

I found some PAL nuts in a plastic fastener organizer drawer. The five on the right in the photo take a 3/8" socket and should work, but probably not the original issue pieces that were removed.

dash pad speed nuts.JPG

I've heard of some folks using speed nuts on the dash frame, then running the screw/bolts from the bottom. That way, the dash can be removed with the windshield in place.

I don't know about the early cars, but these look like the later cars use. The frame was factory installed with bolt heads on top before the windshield went in. It's somewhat common to use a bit shorter, or trimmed bolts, and install the bolts from the bottom. This allows you to get the frame in/ out if necessary without pulling the windshield. I did this on my 67, it's not that difficult I kept about 3 spare screws full length to get things started, then replaced them with the short ones

dash-frame-fasteners-jpg.jpg

-
Back