Which Exhaust Manifold???

-

quapman

Damn Yankee
Reaction score
I'm finishing (fixing) a 360 conversion into a slant-6 car (74 Duster) and can't seem to decide which exhaust manifold to use on the driver's side. My choices are:

1: Correct high-flow 340/360 A-body with flat pipe flange.
2: B/C/E body 340/360 with 2-1/4 tapered flange (Not sure if this is the correct terminology)
3: A-body 318 with 2-1/8 tapered flange

They all fit with no clearance issues including power steering, but which one will be easier to fit a pipe and get it around steering, starter, etc.? I'm going to take it to a local shop that does a lot of pipe bending for older cars. Will the smaller 318 manifold flow all that much less than either of the 340/360 units?

Thanks!

P.S. Passenger side will remain with the center-dump truck manifold.

May as well use the hi-flow if you have it. &4 would use a center dump on the passenger side so it will look correct also.

May as well use the hi-flow if you have it. &4 would use a center dump on the passenger side so it will look correct also.

agreed and remember you DONT have to get the real expensive "hp" ones from 69 or 70 or when ever they do very LITTLE over the WAY CHEAPER 74+ 360 manifolds..about 1-3 HP is all...

O.K., I've decided against the B/E/C body manifold, but still can't make up my mind between the 318 and 360 parts. The maroon who built this car used 2" pipe from the manifolds to the main pipes for about 2 feet (the rest is 2-1/4"), so I'm thinking that the smaller 318 manifold wouldn't make a huge difference anyway. I'm certainly NOT going to use the hi-perf 69/70 style. Too much $$ and this car would probably have a nervous breakdown if I used something that nice on it!

PAssenger side is staying the way it is. (Center dump late 70's truck 360)

-
Back