which is a beter converter

-

Tawny Demon

Reaction score
i am running a 340 with a 904 paired to it with this cam howard 710581-10 with a spec of .531-.547 and 277-283 they say 2500 to 3000 stall converter so i was wanting to know if a 2200 to 2500 stall would work or will the 2600 to 3000 be better

the more stall the better. I think a good converter is one of the most important parts of a performance build. I would call dynamic converters and have a chat with them. Its free to talk and they will give you alot of professional advise without pressuring you to buy. they are great guys and make a hell of a converter. it isnt all about stall speed. its more about efficiency. my 9.5" converter flashes at 4200 on the foot brake and still drives around town like a mild converter. doesnt slip or heat up at freeway speeds. my dads 451 demon has over 10,000 street miles on his and 100s of mid 10 sec. passes on it and it works like the day he put it in.

http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/selectingconverter.html

Here are some general guidelines for selecting a converter:

According to B&M, the stall speed should be rated at about 500-750 RPM under your engine's peak torque RPM. If you don't know this figure, be conservative in your estimate. You don't want to end up with a converter that has too high of a stall speed. Don't be too conservative, though - it is possible to get a converter with too low of a stall speed, which will have roughly the same effect as too high of a stall speed.

Know your camshaft specifications. If your cam has less than 220 degrees duration (@ 0.050" lift), which most street machines do, you make most of your torque down low in the RPM range, and you probably won't need more than a 2500 RPM stall speed, if even that much.

Have a good idea of your vehicle's weight. Remember, lighter vehicles will lower the rated stall speed; heavier vehicles will have the opposite effect.

High stall converters generate a lot of extra heat. The installation of an external transmission cooler is mandatory with a higher than stock stall speed converter. Actually, you should have one in there anyway. Heat is the number one killer of transmissions - 85% of all trannies die because of inadequate cooling.

The best advice I can give anyone buying a converter is to talk to the manufacturer. They know torque converters better than anybody, and can help you to select exactly the right converter for your combination. This article was designed to give you some insight into what is needed to determine the right converter, and to make you familiar with the terms and what you need to know to speak intelligently with the experts.

efficiency is just as important as stall speed. A cheap converter may stall were you want it but if it slips under load it wont pull hard. Theres a lot more specs needed to pick the right converter. all the cam specs, timing, compression, tire size, gearing, car weight. Its best to call a converter company and ask them their opinion.

-
Back