Which long tube header that is not TTI suck the least?

-

trebor75

Reaction score
I misspelled the heading, can't seem to edit that. It should be " Which long tube header that is NOT TTI suck the least?"

I can't afford TTI over here in Sweden. My old headers, brand unknown are hanging low and have seen better days. I need new ones. Over here I have found HKR5901 HOOKER HEADERS and FLT13100 Flowtech Headers readily available so far. I have a 1970 Duster with power steering. The headers that are on now was a nightmare to install, but they did clear the PS and I can remove the starter without removing the header.

Last edited:
As a little anecdote, I have been slowly building my Duster for 12 years. I have easily spent as much on shipping and Tax&duty as I have on parts! Headers are too expensive to ship from overseas.

Dougs $149.97 + shipping $265.77 + tax $74.08 = 490 usd :(

You have tti and dougs. Real close to the same design. You also have Schumacher (shorter and a tri y design I believe) then you have all the rest. All those cheapy headers are the same. Headman, hooker, flotech ...etc. all junk that hangs low and are the same as what you have now.

You have tti and dougs. Real close to the same design. You also have Schumacher (shorter and a tri y design I believe) then you have all the rest. All those cheapy headers are the same. Headman, hooker, flotech ...etc. all junk that hangs low and are the same as what you have now.
I was afraid that would be the case. I might contemplate putting my 360 together with manifolds...

I have fulllength Doug's headers on my daily driven '73 Dart.
They still hang lower than I hoped for.

Installing was a lot of work.
Engine position (up/down, left/right) is very important for the tubes to clear the torsion bars. I pulled the collectors together slightly when I welded up the X-pipe behind them.
Steering coupler can still contact the rear left tube.

I have a Borgeson power steering box which probably helped a, but I decided to use shims under the mounting to move the coupler away from the no.7 cylinder tube.

Also, their JetHot coating is GONE within one winter when roadsalt is used.
From the top, the headers still look new.
From the bottom, they look like they have been installed 6 years ago and totally rusted.

I wouldent call hooker super comps junk at least the ones I have are 20 years old and still have the original gaskets and no leaks and fit every bit as good as the tti's on my 70 . maybe the quality has gone downhill since then ?

I have fulllength Doug's headers on my daily driven '73 Dart.
They still hang lower than I hoped for.

Installing was a lot of work.
Engine position (up/down, left/right) is very important for the tubes to clear the torsion bars. I pulled the collectors together slightly when I welded up the X-pipe behind them.
Steering coupler can still contact the rear left tube.

I have a Borgeson power steering box which probably helped a, but I decided to use shims under the mounting to move the coupler away from the no.7 cylinder tube.

Also, their JetHot coating is GONE within one winter when roadsalt is used.
From the top, the headers still look new.
From the bottom, they look like they have been installed 6 years ago and totally rusted.
Thanks for sharing that information!

I wouldent call hooker super comps junk at least the ones I have are 20 years old and still have the original gaskets and no leaks and fit every bit as good as the tti's on my 70 . maybe the quality has gone downhill since then ?
Thanks! Well, it looks like what I have to choose from over here is either Hooker or Flowtech. I'm not too worried about the install. I have patience, but I would like them to seal good. I hate leaky exhaust!

Thanks! Well, it looks like what I have to choose from over here is either Hooker or Flowtech. I'm not too worried about the install. I have patience, but I would like them to seal good. I hate leaky exhaust!

make sure whatever you get has at least a 3/8 flange where they bolt to the head . if you have power steering fit wont be good with any header .
and I also don/t like the headers with #3 going over top and dowm with #5 they are hard on plug wire 3 and 5 .

Got manifolds? Early 340 manifolds have been going for $500+ a pair.

For exhaust, it's not if it sucks the least... :p

It's which one blows the most.... :D

we are talking comps not super comps.

Whatever you do, DON'T buy Flowtechs.
They hit the power steering box in several places, and #7 tube hits the steering coupler dead on and you will have to shim the motor mounts up at least 1/4''.
And then, they still rub the torsion bars etc. and hang low.
Standard steering would be a lot better............

Doug’s d453 on my 70 duster 340 4speed was a nightmare. $1000 set of headers everyone chirps are the best and well shoot it to you straight here they are not the best!!!! Zbar won’t move unless you bend or totally customize it to fit between header and the starter. Mini starter still no clearance. Passenger side had to beat the crap out of a beautiful ceramic coated header to clear torsion bar. Honestly I would bought a $300 set of hookers and beat the crap outa them to fit vs the $1000 Doug’s. Tricky here one guy says they fit next guy says they don’t so frustrating finding solid info. 10 guys now gonna say there Doug’s fit great .... lol my Doug’s fit too after a nightmare. Def not plug and play and god forbid your starter goes have fun getting starter out with Doug’s bolted up. Just my experience on my 70 duster. Tti and Doug’s never again

-
Back