which one of these straight filters works with headers?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im putting the straight adapter for my oil filter on my smallblock. Im currently running headers on it (340) with the fram PH8 (wix #51515) but i want to go to a wix shorty filter as shown in this link
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=84099

problem is i dont know which one to go with..there is the regular shorty, p#51068 at 4.33" tall, and then there is even shorter p#51085, at 3.79" tall...im wondering which one will work better...Id like to go with the larger one, but i dont want to have fitment issues.

Im looking for anybody to offer any insight as to which ones they are using with success (with headers preferably hedmans too).

thanks!
Matthew

I have used all three filters.
ph8a=large size
ph43=medium size
ph16=small size
All three worked fine on my 360 and i use the ph16 on my 318.
Check your clearance and use what you feel is the right one.

By the way i run dynomax headers on both my cuda and coronet with small block motors and do not use the 90 degree adapter.
My filters go right on the side of my motors and do not hit the headers.:glasses2:

See the wix deal thread stickied in parts for sale section for filter sizes.

They are there.

Use the Wix or the NAPA Gold. They are exceptional quality. I don't use Fram any more.

I have hedmans on my 360 and the headers do not limit the filter at all. I can't get a long (PH8A size) in there because it hits the sub-frame, won't qite fit to get it started on the filter threads. I use the mid size filter (Motorcraft 300) but I have a remote filter kit that I have to weld a bracket to the floor so I can mount the filter under the car tucked up next to the tranny. Once I do that I will use the long filter.

hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions! yes technically i could just measure (and i did) but i wanted to be sure by asking what you guys use...I ended up going with the midsize one that abodyjoe initially recommended, wix #51068

thanks!

What made my life easier, besides using the short NAPA filter, was to add a Lokar flexible dipstick tube. It made pulling the filter out around the headers less painless and messy task.

-
Back