Which radiator?

-

Tad

Reaction score
I’m coming back around to this topic. I’m running a 340 in my 1965 dart. My question is how do I choose a radiator? Seeing that the engine is Mis-matched with the car. currently my lower radiator hose comes out on the passenger side and hooks up to the passenger side. Also the current radiator I have has an external transmission cooler and I know the newer ones have internal. Is that going to make a difference? Transmission is a 904LA. Water pump is a high flow pump. Looking for a good functioning/cooling radiator but that is also budget friendly.

I bought a Wizards and my car now runs hotter than ever. They told me it would be good for 600+hp. I have less than 500 and cannot drive it on an 80 degree day. When I call them for assistance, Scott gave me some tips that didn't work. After that he told me not his problem!

I’m running the champion from above without the shroud. My 273 in my 65 Dart doesn’t get above 180 now. I’ve liked the radiator so far after 1 year, used my original hoses also.

Check with Cold Case, they are a vendor on this site. They offer discounts to members & are easy to deal with.

Whatever you do, don't follow me and use the later aluminum water pump in my 1965 Dart w/ OE 273. It is 1" longer, which will cause many headaches with pulleys, radiator clearance, and even the power steering pump (TRW pump doesn't bolt up). I only did so because a newbie and its outlet side matched the only radiator I could buy from Autozone. I am long beyond Autozone these days. I eventually got everything to fit, but had to be extra creative. You can install the earlier cast-iron water pump. Otherwise, your 340 engine should be identical to the 273 V-8, if your car came with that. If originally a slant, you will need the cable throttle and a V-8 steering cross-link, plus a few engine wiring changes.

I have a 22” U.S. Radiator 4 row runs cool at 170 to 180 just idling. You can get it with a trans cooler or without.

I run Champions too. I get mine off ebay for a decent price.
I'm a cheapskate and won't ever drop money on something like a cold case radiator just because they are suppose to be better. My $0.02

-
Back