who makes MP forged pistons?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Anybody know who the manufacturer is for the mopar performance forged pistons? Im assuming its TRW/Sealed power but im not sure...Im looking for cheap but good forged pistons, and the TRW/Sealed power stuff seems to be the ticket...the MP stuff however is a little cheaper, so just curious who's making them

Wiseco made alot of them

so are they an upgrade or downgrade compared to trw's or nearly the same? I know the TRW forged stuff is heavy, but they are cheap and work good for what they are

first of all...TRW is no longer in business..the Seal Power/Speed Pro are usually heavy..

Wiseco made alot of MP new pistons... I have several sets of the newer ones and they are very nice...Just a Wiseco piston with MP part number.

a good inexpensive forged piston is Keith Black Icon series...

first of all...TRW is no longer in business..the Seal Power/Speed Pro are usually heavy..

Wiseco made alot of MP new pistons... I have several sets of the newer ones and they are very nice...Just a Wiseco piston with MP part number.

sorry, didnt know that

The MP pistons seem cheaper than the Icon series, and right now cheap and good is what i need...are they the best, probably not, but for what i plan in the future, id rather go with cheaper forged and still be forged than have hyperuetectics

thanks!

are you sure they are forged pistons cause MP also has cast pistons

*P4876970 340/360 4.030" 3.31" 6.123" 10.5 Flat

3.31 stroke fits a 340 block...the standard bore 340 is 4.040...these are 4.030

these pistons will not fit a 340....to fit a 360...they are set up for a 3.31 stroke crank...

the standard 360 crank is 3.58........these are some of the MP pistons that were made that do not really fit anything ...

what are you building?

Sure they are. They gotta nice fancy web site and everything.

http://www.trw.com/system/engine_components

*P4876970 340/360 4.030" 3.31" 6.123" 10.5 Flat

3.31 stroke fits a 340 block...the standard bore 340 is 4.040...these are 4.030

these pistons will not fit a 340....to fit a 360...they are set up for a 3.31 stroke crank...

the standard 360 crank is 3.58........these are some of the MP pistons that were made that do not really fit anything ...

what are you building?

Oh man, i now feel stupid LOL...thank you for pointing this out for me, there is no option for a 3.58 stroke, and thats what im building, a stock stroke 360...well looks like back to the drawing board with the sealed power/speed pro stuff lol...not a fan of the catalog (or lack thereof) on their website, and i hate going by summit racing only

thanks for the headsup man!!!:-D

well..the IC741 are forged...cheaper then the MP..

they are flat tops...and there are dish pistons available also.

well..the IC741 are forged...cheaper then the MP..

they are flat tops...and there are dish pistons available also.

what is the advantage to having valve releifs as opposed to having no valve reliefs? tighter piston to valve clearance with the valve reliefs?

off the top you can run a larger cam lift, but that really depends on the shape of the dome. Even the low-po 318 pistons have valve reliefs.

off the top you can run a larger cam lift, but that really depends on the shape of the dome. Even the low-po 318 pistons have valve reliefs.

I only ask because i noticed the cheaper sealed power pistons (cheaper than the icons, about 350 for the set) are flat tops with no valve releifs...the Icons that 70AAR listed do have valve releifs, so depending on my goals (not totally certain, still learning and planning as i go along) the Icon's may be the ticket for me

I only ask because i noticed the cheaper sealed power pistons (cheaper than the icons, about 350 for the set) are flat tops with no valve releifs...the Icons that 70AAR listed do have valve releifs, so depending on my goals (not totally certain, still learning and planning as i go along) the Icon's may be the ticket for me

Which forged pistons are you looking at?,if they are the replacement style flat top (I thought they discontinued them?) they will be down alot.I had an older rebuilt 360 with them and they were .080 or better in the hole,not much compression or much room for valve lift.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRW-WL2386F/ if these are them they will be .090+ in the hole with no decking-its actually in the summit application notes,1.591 compression height is not a good performance piston.

yes those are them! it looks like i will be going to the Icon's then...didnt want to have to spend 400 bucks on pistons but looks like ill have too now

thanks for the headsup guys, as you can see i am by no means an engine builder...just trying to get an idea pricewise of what i can use if it works with my combo

-
Back