who runs spintechs?

-

68 A

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
hey,

i got looking around tonight on this board and was wondering how many people are running spintech exhausts. A guy i used to work with put one on his 99 Dakota R/T and it sounded good. I was looking at some clips on youtube, but its hard to get a feel for how they sound. Everyone uses digital cameras and the sound quality on them suck.

From what i have read people say they are louder than they thought they would be. I have a flowmaster 40's on right now and i think they are loud enough in the garage, but not when cruising. Spintech says their Super Pro Street muffler is the most aggressive street muffler they have. Does anyone run these? do you like them? like the tone, sound level, all that?

thanks,

Steve

My friend had a Spintech muffler on his bug (built 2007cc)... It was even the Super Pro Street muffler your talking about. Honestly, in his and my own opinion we liked the flowmaster he had on there better. It had a better tone and it flowed better we thought. He also said there were a bunch of little pin sized holes in the muffler that annoyed the hell out of him.....

Im my honest opinion, i'd stick with your flowmasters....

68A, In our tests the SpinTechs were even louder than the chambered mufflers people are used to hearing (which is pretty hard to do in most cases). They had a "different sound" and it is hard to discern except on the best recordings. You can hear it on the CD we made but most cheap cameras and cell phones can't accurately reproduce it. If you want loud, they will do it for you..
Tom

Tom, what were the best flowing muflers you tested and how much power loss can one expect from a chambered muffler on a 350-400 hp motor over a straigh through or turbo muffler ?

Adam, in the 2.5" size, the Dynomax UltraFlo was the best. It has great sound control plus it flows a lot of air. The Welded UltraFlo was slightly higher but slightly louder. XLERATORS are also sweet as are the next best flowing, Magnaflows.

On a 450 HP engine, the difference in best to worst muffler we tested is only about maybe 10 HP so you give up roughly a tenth of second at the track. We did not test really trashy mufflers though.

I have learned this from all of our tests. Most cars are not consistent enough (and have no need to be) to tell the difference between best to worst so it comes to a case of what sounds the best to them. Class guys that run mufflers (seems the F.A.S.T. guys use Dynomax) or those that need the highest average dyno power tend to run more straight through mufflers [Engine Master's Challenge (EMC)]. The EMC use Magnaflow for the most part from what I recall.

I can tell you in every case I have seen or worked with, dropping off the loud, chambered mufflers and installing straight through like UltraFlos or XLERATORs or Magnaflows usually pick up a tenth on a 12 or 11 second car.

Please understand this is with offset inlet-offset outlet or offset inlet-center outlet mufflers, like GMs and MOPARS are. The center in-center out do not seem to be affected as much and when you look at their construction you can see why. Also, for each time we see one going faster, many people can find examples of chambered ones that run faster so it never is set in stone. For sound control though, there is not comparison. The packed mufflers virtually always are quieter and will always pass more air.

I think for fun, I will try to create high flowing quiet 3.5" muffler next year.

This is a shot of some 3" ones I built that a guy used to replace his louder chambered mufflers. He could not understand or believe how quiet these are even without tailpipes. I agree, the numbers they achieved were amazing for a 17" muffler, 3" straight through. I wish I had more parts to build a few more.

Now that the VOE is done and my interior is done, I need some more challenges. :):)

Tom

cliff's gutsDSCN0192.jpg

Adam, here they are after I powder coated them with DuPont's Alesta hi temp Pipe Black. These are 3" in and out and the case size is 5.5" by 11" by 17" long. The perforated core is the special trick along with the st. st. sock and the ceramic fiber I use to pack them full.
Tom

Cliff2.jpg

thanks for the info! I thought no one was gonna respond. I haven't bought anything yet. I have been thinking about replacing the complete exhaust. I want to replace the old low hanging headers, 2 1/4 inch pipes and flowmasters. I was thinking about TTI headers, Pypes X pipe system and the spintechs. I think i would gain some power (not that it really matters) and i just like to mess with exhaust.

probably won't buy anything for a while, still thinking about it.

thanks,

Steve

Ive heard an Olds with Spintechs and an X pipe. Sounds pretty good, Its actually owned by member Monte.

Well that's a relief.....when I saw the name of this post I thought we had someone here with spinner hubcaps on their Dart.

I had a set of the Sportsman XL's on my 340 with x pipe, they sounded good, was nice because if had a different sound for sure and people could never pick out my muffler. Problem I had after 2 years something inside them came apart and they started to rattle and buzz like they had a broken weld inside so I went with magnaflows.

-
Back