Who uses inline electric fuel pump, what brand, do you like it?

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
69 Barracuda, 340, modified to about 360 HP. I have a 15-20 year old Carter HP mechanical fuel pump that has worked well, but it has started to take a LONG time for the pump to fill the Eddy carb if it hasn't been started for a while. It used to only take a few seconds of cranking. I'd love to find a rebuild kit for it, but no luck. So I ordered an Eddy 1720 Street strip mech fuel pump. On back order, but I thought I'd wait. I just received the second shipping date slip, and this time it is the end of November. Holley 360-11 HP pumps are also on back order. The only other mechanical pumps I can find are 25 gph units that would probably be fine for a 318 2 bbl car.
So I am considering an inline electric fuel pump. I ASSUME that would totally get rid of the wait to fill dry carb fuel bowls. But there are SO many pumps out there. I do not need one that will feed 600 HP. I just want a decent and RELIABLE one that will work for a slightly modified 340.
1. I assume I will need a pressure regulator of some kind? Or are there some for carbs only?
2. Is it worth having a pressure gauge before the carb?
3. Where do most of you mount them?
4. Should I wire a 'Ignition Key On" source directly to the pump, or run it through a relay?
Thanks

My fuel pump has been struggling to keep up with my 4 barrel and have been considering going electric as well. Watching this one closely :popcorn:

Best things I ever did (before I went EFI) in hot weather was an electric rear mount pump, I've used Holley redand Walbro, created a vapor return system, and used a big thick isolator gasket under the carb

. I ASSUME that would totally get rid of the wait to fill dry carb fuel bowls
I'm starting to think it is the alcohol in the field that cause the issue.

2 tanks ago I went alcohol free and the other day after my dart sat for a week it started with 2 pumps and 2 cranking cycles.

BUT even with the alcohol fuels after a week I still had fuel in the bowels after a week. Pulled air filter and pumped the gas 4 times and got great squerts each time. (I do not have a separator between the carb and manifold either.)

I think we are all just too spoiled with our daily driver EFI cars.

On a side note, with the engine cold and having sat for a week, you could disconnect the fuel line into the carb, run it to a hose to SAFELY fill a gas can, crank the engine and see how much fuel you get in say 2 or 3 seconds of cranking. It might surprise you.

I'm starting to think it is the alcohol in the field that cause the issue.

Bingo! 3 or 4 years ago I did a little experiment. I put gas in a spray paint can cap up to the top of the part that covers the nozzle. I did this on a hot humid day at about 2 in the afternoon, left the cap sit on the bench in the garage, by the next afternoon the cap was dry.

OP, I used a small electric draw through pump that I picked up at NAPA, installed in line mounted back by the tank. I turn it on to make sure gas is up to the mechanical pump, start the engine and then turn the pump off.

My 2¢, I ran a few (low pressure) electric fuel pumps before switching to a Sniper system with an in-tank pump. By far the quietest pump I ran was a Holley HP 125. I also understand that the carter pumps are relatively quiet. The noise from the popular diaphragm and vane-style pumps will eventually drive you nuts.

In my Hi Po 340 I am running a Holley Blue Pump with 6AN Braided fuel lines with AN Fittings and inline fuel filter. Also have a psi regulator set at 6psi. I have my set up with an off/on toggle switch....

69 Barracuda, 340, modified to about 360 HP. I have a 15-20 year old Carter HP mechanical fuel pump that has worked well, but it has started to take a LONG time for the pump to fill the Eddy carb if it hasn't been started for a while. It used to only take a few seconds of cranking. I'd love to find a rebuild kit for it, but no luck. So I ordered an Eddy 1720 Street strip mech fuel pump. On back order, but I thought I'd wait. I just received the second shipping date slip, and this time it is the end of November. Holley 360-11 HP pumps are also on back order. The only other mechanical pumps I can find are 25 gph units that would probably be fine for a 318 2 bbl car.
So I am considering an inline electric fuel pump. I ASSUME that would totally get rid of the wait to fill dry carb fuel bowls. But there are SO many pumps out there. I do not need one that will feed 600 HP. I just want a decent and RELIABLE one that will work for a slightly modified 340.
1. I assume I will need a pressure regulator of some kind? Or are there some for carbs only?
2. Is it worth having a pressure gauge before the carb?
3. Where do most of you mount them?
4. Should I wire a 'Ignition Key On" source directly to the pump, or run it through a relay?
Thanks
I use quick fuel one pump after sitting a week fires right up, ditch the eddy carb.

-
Back