why is my airfilter ful of oil ?

-
I went ahead and picked up some 30 weight oil, a can of seafoam, a fresh oil filter, sorry, air filter and I ordered a cheapo ebay oil catch can

hopefully that will hold her over until I get this 360 ready and in there

thanks again for all the help guys

I want a picture of the smoke as you Seafoam the engine LOL

not sure if I can make that happen, I was thinking of having my 5 year old dump it in the carb and I doubt the missus would very much care to record that (always use the camera on her phone)

Mmmmm 5 year olds and running engines don't mix too well.... maybe skip the pix. Good luck and let us know how it comes out. Probably won't fix it but it is a cheap try....

got some time to really look at the engine today and it looks like the real culprit is a blown headgasket and some burned exhaust valves

there has been a slow oil lean which I blamed on a bad PCV system but when I was looking at it today I could see a little bead of oil on the side of the block where the head and block meet
when I revved the motor up I could see bubbles coming out of there so that has to be a bad head gasket right ?

I then took the valve cover off to check if the head bolts were tight and the very first 2 on the passenger side I could tighten up about 1/4 turn (going to 75 LBS) which reaffirms the idea the gasket is a goner

with the valve cover off and the engine running I noticed that the oily mist I saw coming out of the breather was actually exhaust fumes leaking past some of the valves

looks like I better get my act together on that 360

The bubbling could be due to excess blow by past the rings. The loose head bolts could be just that...but it certainly does not do the head gasket any good. It could well indicate some warpage. I would expect some coolant loss somewhere with a bad head gasket; could be being burned in the cylinders. Any brown foamy stuff in the oil, on the dipstick or under the breathers? None of your symptoms so far indicate a blown head gasket.

Burned exhaust valves won't put combustion gases into the crankcase or under the valve cover; the leakage with those is between the exhaust system and the individual cylinders. The engine will run like the associated cylinders are dead or nearly so with burned valves.

i'm adding extra breathers on my valve cover. the lsat one will have a fitting for the pcv valve.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 134
got some time to really look at the engine today and it looks like the real culprit is a blown headgasket and some burned exhaust valves

there has been a slow oil lean which I blamed on a bad PCV system but when I was looking at it today I could see a little bead of oil on the side of the block where the head and block meet
when I revved the motor up I could see bubbles coming out of there so that has to be a bad head gasket right ?

I then took the valve cover off to check if the head bolts were tight and the very first 2 on the passenger side I could tighten up about 1/4 turn (going to 75 LBS) which reaffirms the idea the gasket is a goner

with the valve cover off and the engine running I noticed that the oily mist I saw coming out of the breather was actually exhaust fumes leaking past some of the valves

looks like I better get my act together on that 360

That engine might have been overheated a few times. If the engine gets hot enough the rings can lose their temper or the pistons expand enough to score the cylinders up. Either way it sounds like it's ready to have a fork stuck in it.

However, you could do a mythbusters regarding slant six durability and continue to drive it as if nothing is wrong. Feed it oil and coolant as needed and then report back if anything bad happens. You know how all say the slant six is bulletproof. I don't believe it personally...seen too many with holes in the blocks.

I plan on keeping her as a driver (with the /6) when it rains, ill just ride my dirtbike to work on nicer days

in the mean time I think im getting close to getting the 360 bolted up so this is good incentive :)

Blowby is easy to judge by removing the PCV valve and observing/feeling the puffing from the hole. That is a standard test w/ M-B diesels. If you can feel each cylinder as you turn the crank over 2 revs by tugging on the V-belt, and must wait 5 sec for each to hiss down, your engine is fine - i.e. good rings, valves, and no head gasket leak. I can't tell you how many here pull the head on a perfectly fine engine and proceed to make it not fine.

-
Back