Why is my brake pedal so high ?!

-

thesnafu72

Reaction score
I reinstalled my brake pedal and all the stuff associated after I put in a new master cylinder... and now it sits 10" more forward than it should be.. WHat to do?!

did you have the pedal unbolted? maybe bolted into the wrong hole? master cylinder change? maybe the rod going into the master cylinder is too long and holding the pedal out? can you post pics?

In my instance,I put back the master cylinder and the brake pedal assembly back that came with the car without making any changes to them and had this problem.
Andrew

I also have this problem!

my 72 duster was originally a power brake car but the previous owner stripped the power brake booster and master off the car....left the proportioning valve and brake pedal assembly and what not installed in the car.

I then bought a used master cylinder and manual brake pushrod from another duster and converter the car to manual brakes.

I did not know where the brake pedal sat from the factory on the car so I just assumed that where it sat height wise is where it was suppose to sit.

my brake pedal works correctly and everything but it sits much higher than my gas pedal.....I have to pull my foot off the gas pedal about 6" or more in order to slide it over to the brake pedal.

unlike cars now adays where you can almost slide your foot from the gas pedal directly over to the brake pedal without lifting your foot much at all.

the pedal assembly is bolted in where it is suppose to be, I am using factory duster manual pushrod and master cylinder,master is mounted correctly and all.

I don't get it.:|

I also have this problem!

my 72 duster was originally a power brake car but the previous owner stripped the power brake booster and master off the car....left the proportioning valve and brake pedal assembly and what not installed in the car.

I then bought a used master cylinder and manual brake pushrod from another duster and converter the car to manual brakes.

I did not know where the brake pedal sat from the factory on the car so I just assumed that where it sat height wise is where it was suppose to sit.

my brake pedal works correctly and everything but it sits much higher than my gas pedal.....I have to pull my foot off the gas pedal about 6" or more in order to slide it over to the brake pedal.

unlike cars now adays where you can almost slide your foot from the gas pedal directly over to the brake pedal without lifting your foot much at all.

the pedal assembly is bolted in where it is suppose to be, I am using factory duster manual pushrod and master cylinder,master is mounted correctly and all.

I don't get it.:|

mine is like this stock and always has been... i get my foot stuck under the brake sometimes with my big feet...

I didnt know if thats where it was suppose to sit from the factory or not.....seems high to me, thought about maybe shortening the brake pushrod a little to drop the pedal a bit. (a half inch out of the rod on the top end of the pedal assembly might make for 2" difference in height at the bottom end of the pedal).

I didnt know if thats where it was suppose to sit from the factory or not.....seems high to me, thought about maybe shortening the brake pushrod a little to drop the pedal a bit. (a half inch out of the rod on the top end of the pedal assembly might make for 2" difference in height at the bottom end of the pedal).

i'll get the tape out tomorrow and measure it and see if yours if higher...

nice thing about a clutch car is you can tell if they are even or not...

these are the only pictures I have showing the pedals ( from my carpet/interior install ).

so you can't get an EXACT idea of the difference in pedal height .....but you can definitely see that the brake pedal sure seems to sit up a stretch higher than the gas pedal.

DSCI1296-1.jpg

DSCI1298-1.jpg

DSCI1306-2.jpg

Does this pic help?

Attachments

• Brake Pedal 003 (Small).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 487
I think thats just how they are. The manual pedal on my Dart is about the same. My Duster is an Auto that I put a manual brake pedal on. Was about the same with both pedals on it.

Attachments

• i6116.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 364
  • i7389.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 356
Thanks dusterdude, your third pic says it all. Thats the exact condition I have. However when I owned the Missile in the 70s I could brake and apply the gas just by rotating my foot on my heel. Lifting my leg half way to my chest was not required.
Andrew

Do think that's the way it is, I when to the new style master and adjustable push rod with a 1/2" adapter for the master and have since solved the problem. That shiat drove me crazy.

both of my cars have the high pedal. i dont have a problem with it.

-
Back