Why the /6

-
Have to admit, Gas mileage wasn't too good with this 225

Attachments

• Starting_line_PA06.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 396
I bought my /6 72 with the intention of dropping a 340 or 360 into it. Even started collecting the parts to do it. Then I actually DROVE it. Fell in LOVE with it. It's staying a /6. If it was the only car I could own, maybe it would get the V8 conversion, but it's not.

Plus, honestly, I could buy another V8 a-body for about what it would cost to convert the /6 car to a V8.

Either of these intake/carb set-ups installed on a slant would be sure to draw a crowd. I displayed them at last year's Nationals and someone was always looking at them.

Attachments

• intakes 008.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 380
  • intakes 009.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 375
I bought my /6 72 with the intention of dropping a 340 or 360 into it. Even started collecting the parts to do it. Then I actually DROVE it. Fell in LOVE with it. It's staying a /6. If it was the only car I could own, maybe it would get the V8 conversion, but it's not.

Plus, honestly, I could buy another V8 a-body for about what it would cost to convert the /6 car to a V8.

Xs2. I have a 72 swinger as well and my cousin installed subframe connectors on it with it in mind to V8 swap but I cant do it. The slant ran so smooth and all the memories with the car as a slant six car, I am staying with the slant.

Also, with all the V8 conversions happening, one day, our /6 cars will be RARE! LOL

degreased, cleaned up and looking great, Almost like that ugly girl in high school who ended up being hot after you grew up.

Attachments

• 20140309_185750.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 389
lets play nice!?
here's one for ya: buddy of mine since early 90's, he got several SURVIVOR hemi cudas, but he got into the Aussie slants few years ago. O K so its an overpowered Aussie slant! outruns 340 dusters BAD according to him. but that does give some kudos to the slant argument maybe !?????
me, i learned the hard way years ago , own cars i like and give a rats *** what the other guy thinks...

I Drag race a slant....have fun trying to get all of the power out of it.My wifes 64 Valiant has a slant I put into it.that car is fun to drive! Will turn the sure grip over at will.....and sounds like a small block. I do own a small block speed car to......so I dont just have the slants.440? Ya....got that one in my Road Runner.:cheers:

I used to have a /6 Dart 904. With over 225k on the odometer, it ran well with no smoke from the exhaust. After tweaking the carb a bit, I was able to coax over 27 mpg out of it. IIRC the /6 weighs about 70 lbs less than the 273. Surprisingly, there are cams, intakes, headers, and some dress-up items for the leaning tower of power.

IMHO, there's room in the hobby for /6, SB, BB, and Hemi. Each has its advantages and drawbacks. I like the /6 for its durability and the SB for canyon carving power.

Thought Sssnake might enjoy this little sewing machine making some power.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-qqeK0B-I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-qqeK0B-I[/ame]

Looking at those pictures you posted, what exactly is that black thing with the two yellow stripes down the middle that you are driving on? It's been so long since I've seen that type of surface I've forgotten what it's called.

Yea, sorry about that :D we had a great day here and the snow has finely melted away :glasses7:

YA memike is teasing us grassey.Letsssssssssssss see a burn our there memike:eek:ops:
Heck Snake :coffee2: you know I have a peg leg :smile: I promise you :glasses7: she can, and even though not fast she is just what she is :cheers:
A small C.I. /6 170 C.I. 60 mph by the 1/8 mile , Burn out's are needed for big HP, I just scuff and go now a days :D If I was to put the small 13'' back on I could put on a show , but I drive this babe and race her maybe 3 times a year. I enjoy pulling a good light and out running chebby suburban's at the track when I do race :D

I used to have a /6 Dart 904. With over 225k on the odometer, it ran well with no smoke from the exhaust. After tweaking the carb a bit, I was able to coax over 27 mpg out of it. IIRC the /6 weighs about 70 lbs less than the 273. Surprisingly, there are cams, intakes, headers, and some dress-up items for the leaning tower of power.

IMHO, there's room in the hobby for /6, SB, BB, and Hemi. Each has its advantages and drawbacks. I like the /6 for its durability and the SB for canyon carving power.

Thought Sssnake might enjoy this little sewing machine making some power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d-qqeK0B-I
I sure did, thanksssssssssss that thing is bitchennnnnnnnnnnnnn.Now were talking.

This thread has saved my original /6 74 Dart Sport. Yall make some good points. My little brother has a 318 B Body that I would really like to keep up with but fuel mileage and simplicity are higher priorities on my list.

Nice video linked by 2 Darts. That super-charged slant must be running at a nice O/F ratio, since it appears the guy has it exhausting straight into the workshop and he hasn't passed out. I hope the garage door is open.

I just got to ask why the /6 over a much better and more powerfull sbv8 or bbv8 why do you keep that low power unit?:wack:

The slant sixes that interest me have hairdryers on them. It seems that because the factory built these little engines with a big safety factor in their basic construction, they can withstand lots of boost, and make power, accordingly.

Here are two such examples:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

and.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAxRmoDgsdY"]Turbo charged Slant 6 11.02 @ 120.56 - YouTube[/ame]

Both of these car owners are on FABO. Their engines are similar; gasoline, red-lined at 5,500 rpm., 9:1 compression, 3-speed automatics, no fuel injection (one four barrel, each,) no roller-tappets, no exotic ignition systems, and each is geared with highway-friendly 2.73:1 ring and pinion.

They make, each, about 500 horsepower... at over 20 pounds of boost.

The Dart weighs about 3,200 pounds (without a driver,) and was running into a 15mph headwind when this video was made. The '66 Valiant is lighter, at about 2,800 pounds.

There are, to be sure, some small blocks that are faster, but, is yours?

Mine isn't... and, it's a 360 with a Vortech supercharger on it...

That's why I (and my racing partner,) built a six this time...

We just hope we can run within a full second of these other guys!!!

Attachments

• 100_3649-001.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 100_3720.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 314
And I know of at lest 4 other slant 6 cars here that is running 12 and 13 seconds Bill :coffee2:
Thank you :thumleft: and I am sure you and Freddy can do it :glasses7: Looking forward to it :hello2:

I had a 170, 4 speed in my 64 Barracuda for a while. It was nice. MP cam, heads milled .060, bowls cleaned up, chambers cc'd, windage tray, 2 barrel and intake, 2 1/4 exhaust with a turbo muffler. Pulled well and wound up tight. Did not sound like a sewing machine. 30 mpg on the highway, cruising. Wish I had kept it now. Slant six is fine by me.

Pound fer pound Mother Mopar slants are some of the most rock solid power plants ever made and they look and run nails with all the Clifford go fast parts......great motors.

And I know of at lest 4 other slant 6 cars here that is running 12 and 13 seconds Bill :coffee2:
Thank you :thumleft: and I am sure you and Freddy can do it :glasses7: Looking forward to it :hello2:

Thanks for the support, Memike. It won't be long, now!:blob:

Attachments

• 100_3622.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 297
Many people aren't aware that inline engines and especially the slant 6 look great dressed up with chrome, multiple carbs and paint... The slant is simple and different... Don't most of us want something simple these days... Easy to work on and cheap... It is a no-brainer...

Many people aren't aware that inline engines and especially the slant 6 look great dressed up with chrome, multiple carbs and paint... The slant is simple and different... Don't most of us want something simple these days... Easy to work on and cheap... It is a no-brainer...

Yep, something simple and cheap, but fast! :blob:

Attachments

• js640_turbofront.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 262
  • js640_turboside.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 264
-
Back