Why the /6

-
Well, thanks for the very kind words... We looked (in vain) for a 2 door we could afford, for a while, but when you're in your 70's (we both were) you don't have unlimited time to give it, so after finding this car for $900.00, we looked up the shipping weight (2,570) and found it to be only 25 pounds heavier than a 2 door sedan, and all off that is virtually over the rear wheels, we decided to go with it. It ended up weighing 2,570 when finished, with Cal Tracs, a roll bar, and subframe connectors.

My other car is alsp kind of a sleeper... '72 Valiant 4-door, Vortech supercharged 360- Magnum/904: 4.10-geared 8.75" Sure Grip.... low 11s on 9" Hoosiers...

It's fun on the street, too... lol!
Hers's a pic or two......

Yeah, it was dark when I did the wiring... :(

Holy crap!!! its obvious that you know what your talking about. Count me in as one of your new students, I think there is much to be learned from you here. Is there a build thread anywhere for the 72 valiant? How did you get all that together, that is amazing. :burnout::supz:

I have just read this thread for the second time and thought i would share some "back in the day" experiences.
My wifes first car was a 2 year old 75 Duster with a slant six. It was burgundy(silver duster) with a half vinyl roof, ralleys, and striped bench interior(bocca ratan) with a fold down back seat(only one I ever saw). I bought it for her because we wanted a trouble free car, good fuel economy and something she could be proud of. And I was proud of her in that car! We had that car for 14 years and the only real repair was bearings in the diff. It became our work horse. We pulled two skidoo 9500s all over from Wisconsin to Nova Scotia and everywhere in between, pulled a Correct Craft to Florida every year and almost every weekend in the summer. We plowed continuously thru snow so deep we had to stop to unpack the snow from around the fan- and continue on to do it again. I loved that car and drove it until the rust was just too embarrassing. It was a change the oil and go car. We had other cars- both sb and bb GTS', 383 Runner, 80 GTI, 79 vette, and a few others - but the Duster was always last in the driveway!
But thats not the end. The car sat in the shed for a couple years and then I pulled the motor and put it in the swather in 1990. It has been working every summer since then.
After reading this thread I realize, there is nothing the slant six can't do.

Thanks to all the posters for giving the /6 the credit it is due.

I keep seeing this picture in my mind of some big block bowtie youngster returning home dejected, - knowing that he'd just been spanked by a guy in his seventies driving a slant 6 four door. - Priceless! ](*,)

:toothy8::thumbrig:

:) - too funny !

Snake,

Are you beginning to get the idea that /6s aren't just for grannies????? :violent1:

Truly....

But... I have spent most of my time playing with 1, 2, and 4 bangers and it took my Mustang 'gt to teach me that an American v8 could bring a serious amount of giggles into your life...and as I learned with motorcycles, a big engine cruses far better than a small displacement engine....one reason is that it isn't just the engine in the equation.

I don't regret giving my /6 away ( I would have preferred a few bucks for it but no joy) but I will now look at slanties with a different point of view..

My grannie once said to me that the reason that there was more than one book in the library was because people had different tastes. Indeed.

Holy crap!!! its obvious that you know what your talking about. Count me in as one of your new students, I think there is much to be learned from you here. Is there a build thread anywhere for the 72 valiant? How did you get all that together, that is amazing. :burnout::supz:

Thanks for the all-too-kind words, but you have me confused with someone who ACTUALLY knows what he is talking about.:angry7:

I started learning about turbocharged slant sixes 5 years ago, never having owned a turbocharged anything, nor a slant six of any kind... so, I had a LOT to learn! I am still learning! If you want to see some pictrures of our car's build, email me at Billdedman@hotmail.com and I'll be more than glad to send you what I have. We are about ready to have our car's maiden voyage on a set of clocks, so we'll find out if I know enough to try to teach anyone anything... probably not.

But I appreciate your generous statement... It was very nice. I would defer to a REAL expert, FABO member Charrlie Schmid, (no typo) who has years of slant experience, and has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff.

Seriously...:glasses7:

Thanks for the all-too-kind words, but you have me confused with someone who ACTUALLY knows what he is talking about.:angry7:

I started learning about turbocharged slant sixes 5 years ago, never having owned a turbocharged anything, nor a slant six of any kind... so, I had a LOT to learn! I am still learning! If you want to see some pictrures of our car's build, email me at Billdedman@hotmail.com and I'll be more than glad to send you what I have. We are about ready to have our car's maiden voyage on a set of clocks, so we'll find out if I know enough to try to teach anyone anything... probably not.

But I appreciate your generous statement... It was very nice. I would defer to a REAL expert, FABO member Charrlie Schmid, (no typo) who has years of slant experience, and has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff.

Seriously...:glasses7:

Sometimes some of the best sources to find information is from someone that has newly learned the stuff themselves. They tend not to leave out as many details as some of the guys that know stuff like the back of their hand. - Probably because it was a bigger struggle to get those things accomplished.

As an added plus guys that are going through projects like yours for the first time run into more pitfalls. Everybody likes to read about the oopses. It lets us know what to look out for. - And it keeps us from getting discouraged when we find ourselves banging our heads on the projects we're working on.

Even if the slanty turns out to be a turd (and I doubt it will), it will be one heck of an impressive one regardless.:thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh:

Sometimes some of the best sources to find information is from someone that has newly learned the stuff themselves. They tend not to leave out as many details as some of the guys that know stuff like the back of their hand. - Probably because it was a bigger struggle to get those things accomplished.

As an added plus guys that are going through projects like yours for the first time run into more pitfalls. Everybody likes to read about the oopses. It lets us know what to look out for. - And it keeps us from getting discouraged when we find ourselves banging our heads on the projects we're working on.

Even if the slanty turns out to be a turd (and I doubt it will), it will be one heck of an impressive one regardless.:thumrigh::thumrigh::thumrigh:

There is an impressive, pretty comprehensive website called "Hangar 18" that features lots of photos and how-to text regarding modifying your own Holley 4bbl or 2bbl. for boost.

When I built my blown 360, way back in 2006, I used a place called "The Carb Shop," in Ontario, California. For about $900 that they did all the mods and ran it on an in-shop dyno to verify the correct mixture under 15 pounds of boost. It worked well. But there are several mods to do, and getting it done professionally isn't cheap.

It would be cheaper, of course, for A 2300-SERIES 2BBL (half of a 4BBL.)
500cfm Holley.

When we built our slant six motor, we also bought a F.A.S.T.-brand data-logging, wideband. mixture monitor that has an O-2 sensor, air-fuel ratio meter that would aid in achieving the correct mixture under both boost and cruise situations; a tricky procedure. Failure to get it right can result in detonation under boost, which can and WILL destroy your engine in a heartbeat. You can see the vital importance in getting this right... and, doing so is well-nigh impossible without an O-2 sensor.

Nobody told us (or, maybe we didn't read the instructions??) that lead in the fuel will pretty quickly ruin an O-2 sensor to the point that it is very inaccurate. So, we went merrily along testing our carb modifications using av gas, which is heavily leaded, thereby, UNKNOWINGLY ruining our O-2 sensor and giving us incorrect mixture readings. A new O-2 sensor was ordered and installed, ($91.00) and we continued testing, this time on unleaded fuel.

Just a word to the wise...

My feeling is, that by the time you have bought a meter, a carb, and all the parts necessary to modify your own carb, you'd be money ahead (if, your time is worth anything at all to you, because all this testing/modifying is a time-consuming endeavor) to just pay the freight and buy a carb from someone who does this for a living and is likely to get it right the first time.

Getting it wrong can be VERY expensive....

More, later...:happy1:

One more for the pro pile.

It was time.....time to chime.

This is getting close to being fired up and we can't wait...:blob:

Mop

Attachments

• 100_5176.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 100_5166.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 342
While I'm not the one who started the count, I see the responses are now over 160! That alone should answer the question, "Why the /6". :cheese:

- proof that them slantys can be purty.
And momoparman is getting closer and closer :blob::blob:
Looking great :cheers: and I bet it will be around for many many years to come :wav:
It is a pretty site to see ain't it :D

One more for the pro pile.

It was time.....time to chime.

This is getting close to being fired up and we can't wait...:blob:

Mop

Thats a beautiful piece of machinery there!

To answer the OP, I believe that there's plenty of people that make great power from a slant six because they know where its weak points are (cylinder head being the main one). Plus imagine getting spanked in your 69 Camaro "hot rod" by a six cylinder "grandma's car", sounds like a good time to me.

Attachments

• imageedit__3571335583.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 285
  • imageedit_1_4449727915.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 280
I remember getting spanked by my gandma Rockerdude :cheese: and it was like no other :D
Looks great by the way :supz: I like the grandma look, yours is getting younger and younger :burnout:

Thats a beautiful piece of machinery there!

To answer the OP, I believe that there's plenty of people that make great power from a slant six because they know where its weak points are (cylinder head being the main one). Plus imagine getting spanked in your 69 Camaro "hot rod" by a six cylinder "grandma's car", sounds like a good time to me.

Ya i so-pose if the Camaro had a tired old straight 6.:tongue2:

Ya i so-pose if the Camaro had a tired old straight 6.:tongue2:

How many '69 Camaros are you going to run across on the street that can spank this slant six?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

Snake, are you listening??? :violent1:

Or this one? ;)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAqCYhAI5I"]11 second Slant Six Valiant Station Wagon - Mopars North of the Gate 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

Here.

[ame]http://youtu.be/7mNhTw4nODU[/ame]

My first car was a Columbia Blue, 1964, Post 2 door, 225 three on the tree! BOY Did I hate that transmission. I robbed the transmission and shifter out of a 64 Barracuda and I was in hog heaven. Then I pulled the engine and did my magic to the engine. Full Blueprinting, full Balancing, port matching and matched the valve springs by tension and height. The only change from stock was a dual One Barrel manifold and big bore exhaust system. I removed the Heat Riser and blocked the holes the cleaned up the casting for maximum flow. The 2 14 Muffler adapted to 2 inch pipe was super clean sounding and I kept tuning a flow plate, in the tip, until I got maximum fuel economy. I wanted the cruise control to take me where ever I wanted and get great mileage. 28.7 was the best average I received from the build. I used water/alcohol injection and had a second tank, in the trunk, with High Octane. The tip came off for the trips to the Strip and I ran it through the muffler. A shift kit, in the transmission, made for a great deal of fun as did the high stall torque converter. Low 12s were nothing to brag about back in 1977. But for a Slant Six, in an Old Lady's Car, to run them consistently, that was the key that won many a bracket for me. Many, Many brackets! Today we have learning fuel injection systems and over-drive transmissions available, Currie makes great posi-traction rear ends for anything. I can hardly wait to build my Car!

I have had V8s. They're okay, but they don't run smooth, they don't even idle smooth. you have two cylinders fire next to each other in the firing order. That doesn't happen with a Slanty. 1,5,3,6,2,4, nice and smooth. A V12, V10, Five Cylinder, four cylinder, all nice and even. Not a V8, unless you buy a Chevy and put a very expensive 180 degree Crank Shaft in it, but then you have two four cylinders on a common Crank.

-
Back