will 70-72 bumpers bolt to a 73?

-

eviper21

Reaction score
curious...cuz 73 bumpers are freaking HUGE, and im planning on doing a front end swap, soooo yes, no , maybe, kinda?? thanks!

rather its a dart sport/swinger or duster/valiant/scamp the whole front clip is needed fenders up

The mounting holes in the later frame rails were moved. To use the early bumper braces you will need to drill holes. Nuts would need to be fabricated from square blocks of steel that wouldn't spin inside the rail. A length of coat hanger wire tacked on the side of the nut is also needed to place it behind the hole from the front end of the rail.
Hope this helps.

sorry i have a 73 duster, trying to do a 70-72 front end swap. i was told all i need is the hood, grill, and bumper because the fenders are the same for the dusters. I didnt know if this was a straight bolt in swap or not, but it doesnt seem like too much of a hassle?

The bumper should bolt right up, the bolt hole pattern on the frame stayed the same until around mid '74 when the 5mph bumpers became came out.

The bumper should bolt right up, the bolt hole pattern on the frame stayed the same until around mid '74 when the 5mph bumpers became came out.
are the shock bumper the 5 mph bumpers? my 74' swinger was fist sold 10/25/73 and has them. guess it could be crappy "i'm your mother damn it" california crap... :dontknow:

Every 73 I have owned had the shock bumpers.

my 73 had the shock mounted bumpers also. I do remeber reading that some model had the shock mounted type on the rear only for a while so....
Anyway it'll work whether you have to drill holes or not.

I've had three '74s with non shock absorber bumpers and one that had the shock bumpers, I believe the shock style were optional in '73 and manditory somewhere around mid '74. My '74 swinger built in 4/74 has holes for both style bumpers but still has non shock bumpers on it, it did have those big rubber bumper guards on it and the heavy steel reinforcement behind it which made it a "5mph" bumper.

-
Back