will a 67 plymouth fury 225 fit my 68 dart 170 transmission????

-

Old Dart

Reaction score
I have a 68 dart with a 170 that is worn, I have the oppertunity to purchase a 67 Plymouth fury 225, wondering if the 225 will bolt up to my transmission?????????

I have a 68 dart with a 170 that is worn, I have the oppertunity to purchase a 67 Plymouth fury 225, wondering if the 225 will bolt up to my transmission?????????

Your 68 Dart torque converter most likely has the larger hub; the 67 motor most likely has the small register in the crankshaft. All you'd need is the small to large bushing adapter available thru Wildcat, Torqueflite Patty and others

Your 68 Dart torque converter most likely has the larger hub; the 67 motor most likely has the small register in the crankshaft. All you'd need is the small to large bushing adapter available thru Wildcat, Torqueflite Patty and others

Nope. Just the other way around. The crank adapter will allow using a 68 engine, with a 67 trans.

Just to be clear, I was wanting to put the 67 plymouth fury 225 where my 68 dart 170 used to be. I just don't know if the fury 225 will bolt up to my dart tranny. I don't mind buying an adapter or two.

Just to be clear, I was wanting to put the 67 plymouth fury 225 where my 68 dart 170 used to be. I just don't know if the fury 225 will bolt up to my dart tranny. I don't mind buying an adapter or two.

The only way(s) you can do that is:
1) swap the crank for a 68-75 crank.
2) change the front parts of the 68 trans (pump, input shaft, etc) to the 67 and older parts (will require the 67/older converter and flexplate).
3) get a custom built torque converter, with the small crank pilot and the large input splines (also requires the 67 flexplate).
4) use a 66-67 trans/converter/flexplate..

I do number 3 as I have my converters custom built for racing, anyway.

Did I get it bass ackwards? Dislexic of the brain I guess lol!

Laugh, see my comment about memory and negation in the recent thread where the OP is wondering whether he needs to adjust the valves after 1000 miles. He needs to ask whether a no-retorque head gasket was used but whether the mechanic remembers correctly is an open question. Negation is very closely associated in the mind.

why not use the engine AND trans from the Fury?

Plymouth tranny is toast, dart tranny is golden. Thanks charrlie and dartman for the advice.

-
Back