Will an A-833 tran. fit my six?

-

Wedge

Reaction score
Ive been talking to a guy about his A-833 transmission. It came out of a late 80's pickup and he said it worked on his 70 /6 pickup.
Will it work on my 70 /6 Duster???
Both are 225's, and he said I would need to adapt it and that there are tons of articles about swapping auto. trans. to A-833.
Can anyone help clarify this for me?
The E-bay item ends in a couple of days.

Got a pic of it?
Or the auction link?
You will need the correct Bell Housing and some other Parts to use it.
Let me know.

Later,
Bruce B.

It's going to be the long tail shaft verision of the A833 if it came from a pickup and being from an 80's pickup it will be the overdrive version refered to as an A833OD.

It will fit, I have on in my 68 Barracuda and it was originally behind a \6. Don't know what your current tranny is but if it's a 3 spd manual the bell housing you have likely does not have the larger pattern for the 4spd or have the hole for the larger input bearing of the OD tranny so you will need the bell housing that was in the truck. If you currently have an auto then you will need everything. Don't forget the floor shift trannies required a large hole in the floor that is covered by a "hump" to make room for the shifter rods. You can cut one from a junk yard car or they are available new in metal or fiberglass.

The long tail shaft tranny will require some fabricating to fit that isn't required of the shorter A/F body specifc tranny. Www.bigblockdart.com has a write up and a dimensioned drawing of the bracket you will need. The drive shaft will need to be shortened too.

-
Back