Will it fit?

-

OldJoe54

Reaction score
So I have found a 4sp tranny, from a 68 roadrunner, short tail, no bell housing. Owner says he has a bell housing available, no additional info. I want to mate this to a 1987 318 block to install into a 1975 Duster. Is there any way to determine if 1.) the tranny is good, 2.) the "available" bell housing will mate to both the tranny and the 318? thanks in advance.

Study the tail shaft housings. These are the A Body castings, you can ask for the casting numbers. Same goes for bell housings. It is easier to use parts to fit your small block 75 Duster. Passon published a book that answers a lot of your questions and is well worth the price.

A short tail did not come out of a RR unless someone somehow adapted it there. Get the casting no's off the bell

SB bells are all over the map. If it is an earlier, AKA 273 bell, it will only accept a small clutch. If it is out of a pu or van, it will be a large flywheel. It might not fit the A833 pattern depending if it was out of a 3 speed, and there are issues with the center hole.

Like said above no short tail shaft came in a Roadrunner unless it was changed out, I put a B-Body Hemi 4-speed trans in my 70 Duster and cut the trans mount crossmember and moved it back to accomodate the trans, it was not easy but that is all I had in 1981 when I did it. You also have to make sure the bearing retainer fits the bell housing as said above...

The transmission has a flat machined surface on the passenger's side of the main case. Will start out "P833....." or some such. Post that number and some of the guys on here can tell you what it came out of. No way really to tell if it's good unless you let someone open it up and inspect it.

-
Back