Windshield removal and replacement 69 Dart

-

jcmeyer5

Token Ford Guy
Reaction score
I was hoping to avoid removing the windshield, but the concern that there might be rot in there has me convinced that it needs to come out. I've been reading up (including the FSM), and I have questions.

Chipped glass. Can I reinstall it successfully? What if I filled the chip first? Honestly, I am expecting the answer to be NO.

Second, the seal. I've read about lock strips and adhesives, but not sure which I need to worry about. This is a 1969 Dart Hardtop. I dont remember seeing a lock strip, but the FSM says something about a "filler strip" in the lower portion of the seal. Also, Precision lists a chrome lock strip for 1969. Is this something different than a lock strip for a 1967, or is the FSM wrong, or ??

Last, I would replace the clips. Do you install those before or after paint? I would think after, but mine are painted (the car has been repainted), and I thought it worth the asking.

Can't quite remember but the windsheild molding has a seam in the middle that you pry open to unlock for removal. Some mouldings like my 68 Ragtop also has a lower locking strip you have to remove.

I recently removed the windshield to paint my 65 dart. It had a lock strip all the way around. My seal was bad enough that I just cut the seal to remove the windshield. I’m replacing the windshield since mine was delaminating. When I bought a new seal I did buy a chrome locking strip. Have you looked up the prices of the seals yet? After I cut the windshield seal out I looked up the replacement cost and was surprised at how expensive they are. I’m glad I did that before I removed the rear window since that seal is about $200.

A shinny new windshield looks a lot better than a cloudy, pitted, 50 year old, from inside and out. After I cracked my 67 glass and had no choice but replace with new... no regrets. Factory installed clips after paint. They had a lacquer coating on them but would rust eventually anyway.

I've already got my trim off. I'll take another look at it today. I was mainly concerned because Precision listed a lock strip for 1969.

The windshield lock strips are for ALL 67 and just 68-69 convertibles. A 69 hardtop shouldn't have one.

Seems like I have read somewhere that some GM locking strips can be used on some Mopar models. If so they will be CHEAP!

I used one on my Ragtop until I decide to get the right one $$$ GM one was cheap and not as wide and has no chrome on it but does the job for now.

Heres a good read for addtl info in regards to convertible lower trim:
1969 Dart Convertible Windshield lower trim

This is the cheapest I have found for the lock strip on-line:
1969 Dodge Dart RIGID LOCKSTRIP, CHROME | Online Store | Car & Truck Interior Carpet

chrome lock strip.JPG

pic from 65Val

If your glass and gasket are not perfect, and you can afford it, get a new windshield and gasket. If you can't, you can save both if you're careful. No lock strip on a hardtop that year. Removing the glass without breaking it is harder than installing it without breaking it, if you use the proper method. With the windshield out, now's the time to do any dash work if any is needed.

So the original windshield (rather, the one that was in there when we got the car) has a rock chip in it, passenger side, eye level. What are the chances I can remove this glass without it cracking? Well, I did. I cut away as much gasket as I could to get to the glass. No sealant was used on the glass side, so that helped. In fact, the only sealant was at the bottom of the glass on the fence side.

I don’t imagine I will put this glass back in, but it did feel like a victory to get it out without further damage.

The 68/69 have an integrated lock strip, it is part of the gasket.
Not to be confused with the 67 which has the chrome plastic one.

Alan

-
Back