windshield wiper gaskets replacement

-

theothergarth

Reaction score
I am planning on replacing the gaskets on my windshield wipers this weekend. After briefly looking at them last weekend I wasn't able to figure out how the arms come off the shafts. It looks like there is a clip on the underside of the arm, but I couldn't get it to come off and didn't want to break it by forceing it.

So....can anyone tell me how the arms came off?

The short arm doesn't come off the shaft to replace the seals. You'll force that cowl seal over the knurled head on the shaft.

Don"t know if I can explain this well enough,but I'll try.The clip does not come off,when the arm is on the "clip" captures the knurld end of the shaft try to pry up on the clip so it will pull away from the knurld end of the shaft while trying to pull up on the wiper arm. If the arms have been on for awhile it will be difficult to pull them off.Hope this helps and good luck.Mark

Well shoot I guess I'm lost.
I Thought we were talking about the under dash end of the wipot pivot.

The arm locks to the splined pivot by spring tension wedging it on at an angle. There's a special lever tool that makes the job very easy -- it hooks over the "heel" of the wiper arm (the part that pushes over the outside of the pivot) and when you squeeze the lever towards the wiper arm it lifts the heel out of wedgement(?!) so the arm can be lifted off. If you don't have that tool, put a durable cloth between the heel of the wiper arm and the vehicle's cowl and lift the heel of the arm with a broad flat screwdriver, taking care not to dig into or scratch the paint. Once you've taken the spring tension up with the screwdriver, the arm will pop off the spline.

proper leverage in the right place and a little wiggling and they popped right off without breaking anything. Thanks guys!

-
Back